Saturday, October 19, 2019

Winded


New England is recovering from a hefty wind storm earlier this week. This raises a very intriguing question about my back yard safety. I have a hillside behind the house that has a number of tall pines trees. Many of them were damaged in the 2009 ice storm with their tops broken off and several died. We moved into the house three years ago and there was one that looked to be on the verge of falling over. I paced it out when I was building my terraces and estimate when it falls, if it falls in the direction of the house, that the only thing it would take out is the grill, which needs replacement anyways.
The Spa Destroyer
I mention this because somehow the damned thing is still there, significantly beating the odds. A huge healthy tree twenty feet to the left was toppled by winds earlier this year with a huge assist to a lightning bolt. The scrappy dead tree just laughs at the fallen titan. Every time there’s a wind storm, like a couple days ago, I look out expecting it to be gone. Now I’ve transitioned to abject admiration for its scrappiness. I have to get out there today and mow the lawn short as my usual fallen leaves removal system is not working optimally. All of the leaves are not getting blown down the hill.
The Admirable Former Tree
I’m heading north to conduct additional reconnaissance needed for next month’s birthday pub crawl. This will be much less costly than my usual forays because my Favorite Panamanian will not be with me to take advantage of shopping opportunities while Keene Friend and I recon. Of course, she’s up in Maine with her fellow musquetera, so I’m confident it’s probably even more expensive since there’s a sales tax up there.
Sick Day Lunch 
Pee Wee Bonding

The FBR checked in last night after seriously messing up her mother’s planned spa day. My daughter had the day off after the big office move but the FBR spent most of Thursday night coughing so she stayed home from day care to hang with my daughter – hence no spa. It sounded like they had a good time together as the FBR’s cough mysteriously disappeared as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment