Friday, October 11, 2019

Magical Hostage


The granddaughters did their level best to elevate spirits last night on a cold windy autumn night. The BRS was extremely busy with stickers which held a lot more importance to her than mere grandparents. She thought getting as many stuck on one hand as possible was high entertainment. The FBR came to our video call with a plan. She wanted to take her abuela hostage using me as the implementing force. We’ve been playing a game lately where I hug my Favorite Panamanian and the FBR immediately says, “abracadabra – let abuela go!”. Last night she coaxed me into hugging position and as my wife pleaded for relief the FRB smirked and said her magic was depleted. After a few minutes she relented and freed her abuela while laughing at her power over us. With great power comes great responsibility, tough to preach that to a threenager.
Monday is our annual leaf peeping tour on Columbus Day. We’ve been doing this for a few years now although my wife blew me off last year to party with her fellow musqueteras in Virginia. This is some great alone time for the two of us as we wend our way through the backroads of Western Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire. The weather is promising to break our way and it’s weird that I look forward to this so much. I grew up in New England and never truly realized how blessed we are with fall foliage until I lived so many years away from it slogging through the Army career. Absence certainly did make for the fonder.
We watched the Patriots latest effort last night as they vanquished a game Giants team on Thursday night football. There’s something about the Giants that scares me (probably a couple super bowls that shall go unnamed) but they always seem to find a way to make a game out of it. The Patriots were down to their last few receivers and may have been holding tryouts for less inebriated fans at halftime. The defense remained sublime and scored two touchdowns of their own to finally grind the G-men into dust. This does nothing in the way of solace for the two unnamed games but the Pats are undefeated even though they’ve only played one quality team.
Finally I would be remiss without calling attention to the fact that today marks the first Friday of this week, an event certainly worth celebrating. Yeah, I know I celebrate it each week but I have yet to experience anything that would even remotely cause me to question the process. Friday beer just tastes a smidge better, especially when we share it with co-workers and friends commiserating about the latest challenges at work. This is one of the traditions I picked up in the military that I consider my absolute duty to bring to the civilian world. Come to think about it, I’ve been celebrating the First Friday of the Week continuously since my fellow infantry lieutenants and I dominated the Howard Air Force Base Officers club each Friday in the early 1980s – that’s a lot of Fridays. The zoomies thought us uncivilized but carefully avoided antagonizing us. I felt like a Visigoth “visiting” Rome.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment