Sunday, October 20, 2019

Haunted


I’ve written before about how blessed I’ve been in my life as far as the friend department. That was validated yesterday with another return to my home town. The stated reason was a reconnaissance of the first bar of the upcoming birthday pub crawl. The real reason as that after mowing the lawn to insure my leaf removal system was operational I knew the empty house was not where I wanted to spend the rest of my weekend. My Favorite Panamanian was continuing her Maine sojourn with her fellow musquetera. Keene Friend agreed to host me and accompany me on my reconnaissance.
The First Bunch
The recon was needed because Penuche’s Ale House, the first bar on the birthday pub crawl, was recently sold and closed for over a month for renovations. I had to confirm this old hometown haunt was still available for the crawl. I know I could I have done that with a simple phone call but you can never overestimate the importance of actual boots on the ground reconnaissance, and yes, beer was involved. So were my friends. Keene Friend and I arrived and were shortly joined by a couple of high school classmates. The Connecticut River Boat Captain (whose birthday it was) as well as my best buddy from kindergarten. It was somewhat nostalgic that I could look out the window of Penuche’s and see that kindergarten (there’s nothing like going home). We were kind of mystified about what the renovations had been since it looked virtually the same but it had been significantly cleaned up which was welcome since the level of effort in that area might have required explosives. Forty years of beer drinking excess does build up a certain level of grime (to be absolutely clear I’m talking about Penuche’s). We accomplished one of our trademark semi-inebriated calls to the Pittsburgh College Roommate.
Later Joined by Keene Freind 2
It was a great afternoon as our ranks were swelled with the arrival of another high school classmate - Keene Friend 2. His wife is also out of town (Argentina, don’t cry!) so he was free to join us for some post-Penuche’s football at Keene Friend’s nearby home. I fielded a call from the FBR who was a little confused by my exotic location. It was a great evening of football and baseball as we got to root against the Yankees. I saw most of the games although some time was spent inspecting the underside of my eyelids (there had been a lot of beer sent downrange earlier). Both Keene Friends eventually retired as I stayed up to hopefully watch the end of the Yankee’s season. It was almost midnight as I saw the Yankees tie the game in the 9th inning. I was so pissed I headed upstairs to bed and only learned this morning their season did in fact end a half inning later. So I consider yesterday a complete win, mostly because of the excellent friends I got to spend time with.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment