Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Killin’ It

The Other Great Project My Son Competed Over the Past year

As I write this the Red Sox victory parade is gearing up so I may be a bit distracted. The expression “Cue the Duckboats” has entered the lexicon of Boston sports fans to mark another championship and today those duckboats are wending their way through the streets of Boston celebrating the World Series title. I’m decisively engaged at work and trying to find some needed components for the future closet in the addition. I went shopping after work last night with my wife and to her credit she was not overly hard to keep focused on what we were actually shopping for.

Today's Ribbon Cutting


I’m so proud of my Favorite Son today and not just because he and the ABFA created such a beautiful daughter. For the past year he’s been in charge of a major construction project in Portsmouth, NH, his first time as a project manager. Today they held the ribbon cutting ceremony for the new garage, delivered as promised. I know he’s stressed a lot over the past year as the inevitable challenges arose but he met and conquered each as they rose. I don’t think he realizes just how big a job this was and how well he did or how proud his dad is of him. While that feeling of pride is not abnormal he somehow has taken it to a new level.
Dad's Side of the Family
Staying in the family lane my big project of transferring my family tree to a spreadsheet has reached a critical point. I’ve finished just my father’s side of the family which was important because it’s something I want to show my cousins from that side of the family at the upcoming Thanksgiving. It was a lot bigger job than I thought. I now have 113 legal sized pages to organize and draw appropriate lines through. I knew it wouldn’t be easy but I still find it fascinating. I owe a huge debt of thanks to my daughter who was able to transpose the PDF files into something I could cut and paste into the spreadsheet. If nothing else this project is redeeming a belief I’ve long held – we’re all related if you take it back far enough. All the insidiousness of believing one set of people is better than another is absolute hogwash. (I can’t believe I just used the word “hogwash” – what am I, 90 years old!)
Need my Garage Back - Not in Habit of Scraping ice Like I had to This Morning

Keene Friend accompanied us to the date night movie last evening. We first had to wish the Pittsburgh Roommate a happy birthday. He reported he had injured himself on the golf course after only one swing, getting old is a dangerous proposition but so much better than the alternate. We went to see Hunter Killer which gets Gerard Butler out of his secret service gig to confront the Russians as a nuclear sub commander. The concept was so outlandish and totally impossible that it should be labeled as pure science fiction but this was still a lot of fun, even with my wife constantly whispering in my ear asking if what they showed the military doing was possible (a lot wasn’t). Butler still oozes screen presence and makes this watchable despite the trite and extremely predictable dialogue he’s forced to utter and endure. The Russian military has staged a coup and want to start a war for some unrevealed reason. Butler commands a sub running around underneath the ice while a Seal team infiltrates a nearby Russian base so the powers in Washington can watch everything going on. The only miss in the cast was Gary Oldman who plays a CJCS in his unhinged mode and it doesn’t work. Common is startling good as a navy admiral countering Oldman’s over the top delivery. This won’t win any critical acclaim but it was a great popcorn ride of an action flick.
BRS is a Smiling Machine

And Wants to Stand up in the Worst Way
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involed in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment