Thursday, October 18, 2018

Late Night Fingernail Chewing

The FBR and Parents - See Below for the Entire Series

I had one of those lovely monthly experiences know as my board meeting this morning so of course I was up last night well after 1am watching the Red Sox sneak in another win over the world champion Astros. I love Alex Cora’s managing which seems to have a magic touch but I think he set the region’s heart attack rate skyrocketing by bringing Craig Kimbrel in for a six out save, something he’d never done before. I’m sure this decision was based on Kimbrel’s domination over the first few games where he’s been the least effective reliever out of the bull pen. I cannot however argue with a win. Thank God for Mookie who threw a no look laser to cut down a runner at second base and then Benintendi who saved Kimbrel with an incredible catch to end the game after Kimbrel once again loaded the bases. It all made listening to the politicians this morning a lot easier to bear.
The Newly Minted Saint Andrew of Red Sox Nation Making the Great Catch Last Night
Undergoing this type of late night drama is not conducive to immediately dropping off to sleep either. My Favorite Panamanian is a huge baseball fan as well and a lot more vocal. Thankfully we live in the beating heart of Red Sox nation so the screams emanating from our room at 1:14am were understandable especially since the only other people awake were also watching the game end.
Son and BRS Last Night
BRS Ready to Deal with Cold This Morning
In today’s granddaughter report the BRS has taken up the Riggins chase. We knew it was inevitable as he does look like a huge stuffed toy. He’s taken the pursuit in good humor and even let the BRS approach to get a grip on his fur. My son is closely monitoring the interaction which was gentle on both sides and so fun to watch. The FBR demanded to see the newest improvements in the house remodeling project even though it was completely dark which was an interesting conversation.
BRS and Riggins



An Annual Event my Wife Rescuing Plants with the Advent of Freezing Temps

Plumbing!!!!
We had a plumber sighting yesterday!! The plumbers were finally on station and I was truly impressed with the work ethic on display. They roughed in the new bathroom almost completely and claim the heating system will be up by Friday. The electrician was also working and says he’s just about ready for the required inspection. Once the plumbing and electrical inspections are done Deckzilla Dude can close up the walls and start the final stage. You always hear about the travails of a major project like this. They are real and sometimes spectacular.
Before the game my wife and I snuck in a date night movie with Bad Times at the El Royale. I’m not sure what I expected but this was something new and very interesting. The film involves a series of characters who in the late 1960s check into a kitschy hotel that straddles the Nevada-California border. The various back stories are told by room number and eventually they all come together for a vibrating finale with a completely unexpected hero emerging. The cast is uniformly strong with Cynthia Erivo as an aspiring lounge singer and Jeff Bridges as a priest/felon particularly standing out. I think many younger viewers will miss some of the pop culture references from that period of time but that was one of the most interesting aspects for me. There are times when the pace may seem to crawl but that’s an illusion and necessary to get you to the “sit up moments” and the dizzying finale. Great flick.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involed in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment