Thursday, October 4, 2018

Cold War

The BRS Smiling - Seemingly a Constant State for Her

One of the benefits of my recently completed, trying trip to Panama was monitoring my work place from afar as a serious cold epidemic swept through. While I felt bad for my co-workers, at the same time I took no small amount of comfort in feeling I’d dodged the proverbial bullet. I thought everyone was recovered by the time of my return. You can see where this is headed, right? Apparently there was a Typhoid Mary left behind so the cosmos could extract some revenge for my feelings of invulnerability through my tropical absence. The cold hit on Monday and is reaching its peak today. Lots of fun. Since I just came back from three weeks away there was no way I am going to miss work. I’ll just have to restrict visitors from my office while I fight this damned thing.
The FBR is a True Connoisseur of Beds - Never Failing to Crawl
Under Covers When the Opportunity Arises

A Truly Lovable Scamp
My Favorite Panamanian escaped last night to do some overdue shopping and then huddled up with the Neighborhood Mafioso for some catch up time. This left me to my own devices which these days meant continuing work on what I’m calling “The Big Project” which is transferring the nearly 5000 names I’ve uncovered during my immersion in Ancestry.com to a spreadsheet so the whole thing can be viewed easily. It’s a lot more work than I thought but my daughter was immense help in translating the PDF files into Word files so I can cut and paste to my heart’s content. I just completed my great grandfather’s line on my father’s side and it involved 26 legal size pages. It’s daunting but fascinating at the same time.


The best medicine was a FaceTime call with the FBR and my daughter last night. They were eating dinner and the FBR noticed I was down in the Man Cave instead of the usual kitchen. She spied some books over my shoulder and asked about them. They turned out to be photo albums and I spent the next ten minutes showing her pictures from long ago. She seemed very interested in pictures of her mother and uncle from their early days. We’ve always said the FBR is the spitting image of her mother. She saw a couple of pictures of her mother when she was the same age as the FBR and the FBR thought they were pictures of herself. I’m sure this call was a tedious for my daughter but it was the best possible medicine I could have hoped for.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got invole din planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latin friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment