Monday, October 29, 2018

FREEDOM!!!!!

The best Red Sox team of any generation finally put me out of my nocturnal misery by winning the World Series last night in convincing fashion. There were a number of story lines but the best was the culmination of the redemption tour for highly priced David Price. He’d failed miserably in all of his previous playoff efforts including the first round this year. He finally reached down and found whatever it is that separates the truly great from the mundane and dominated over his final three starts. He was absolute nails last night and should have won the MVP although no one, other than Price, would resent the prize going to the journeyman Red Sox fan Steve Pearce who delivered so many critical hits.




This was a thoroughly likable Sox team that finally began believing in themselves with the arrivals of Alex Cora as manager and JD Martinez as masher. You could tell they liked each other and there was none of the histrionics that surround so many of today’s professional athletes. This was a true “team”. They cared about each other and winning. Although my wife and I watched the game in the depths of the Man Cave I felt like we were sharing it with my kids in New Jersey and New Hampshire along with Great Aunt and Soxfather down in Rhode Island.




Throughout the game we were sharing gifs (included here) and some of my Favorite Panamanian’s primordial screams whenever something good happened. I assumed my Favorite Son retired to bed immediately after the game so we didn’t bother him but we did reach out to share the moment with my daughter and Wingman in New Jersey.  They were contemplating (only very briefly) awakening the FBR to join in the whooping but reason reasserted itself. As I’ve told them over and over again they are blessed to have been born into this renaissance of Boston professional sports which is diametrically opposed to what my friends and I grew up with. I cannot fathom this is the 11th world championship over the past two decades and four of them for my beloved Sox. Freedom, indeed!
FBR Discovered Silly Putty

Before Taking a Face plant

Looking Much Better this Morning
The FBR wasn’t feeling in too celebratory a mood ahead of the game because of a nasty spill she took. She has a habit of trying to achieve speed of light velocity whenever she moves from one point to another and that caught up with her yesterday. She was rushing from the car to see the newly installed front yard inflatable Halloween cat when she fell face first onto the driveway. An indication of how fast she was moving was the cut is on her forehead while her nose is untouched. She proudly claimed to only cry a little bit. She had an ice pack and a popsicle to stem the pain while we were talking with her. She recovered enough to treat us to a concert with her play guitar as Wingman’s genetics seem to be kicking in. She’s a tough little nut. Another kid would probably cry for hours. The cut looks much better this morning and her parents report no issues.
BRS Contemplating Pumkin

Not Impressed
You’ll forgive me as I continue to bask in the reflected glory of yet another Red Sox world championship. I’m going to have to go find the several Yankee fans that work for me. It is going to be a good day. The BRS also seems happy, as usual.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involed in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment