Friday, October 26, 2018

Building Up & Cinema Fail

BRS in Happy Mode

The Red Sox were traveling to L.A. last night so my Favorite Panamanian and I were available for a date night which was predictably spent at the movie theater and a colossal fail. More on that later, I returned home to find Deckzilla Dude working on the last stretch of siding on the rear of the house. I volunteered to clean the gutters which are going back up on the house today, hopefully. I should have checked the thermometer before but I’m willing to do anything to get this project to the finish line.

My Son's "Small" Construction Project
To Think it All Started with a Childhood Lego Fascination
We talked with my Favorite Son who was working late on his own little construction project which is reaching its culminating point. The huge parking garage in Portsmouth that he has overseen as project manager for the past year will have its grand opening next week. The myriad of small finishing details are being knocked out now which has had him in the high stress zone for the past couple weeks. Luckily he gets to go home to the ABFA and the BRS which more than makes any effort worthwhile.
In New Jersey Wingman is rocking into the Halloween spirit and surprised the FBR with a huge inflatable, moving black cat for the front lawn. He sent along a hilarious video when she first saw it. She wasn’t too sure what to make of it and asked if she could touch it. Upon confirming it as just plastic and wouldn’t attack her she jumped in joy with her signature move of rapidly shaking her hands. Unfortunately the video was too big to imbed here outside of this screen shot.



Now to the fail; do not, and I repeat, do not go see The Oath. This is billed as a dark comedy and since it had two comedic actors I really like in Ike Barinholtz and especially Tiffany Haddish I thought this would be a slam dunk. I could not have been more wrong. Haddish is marginalized into a small role while Barinholtz is one of the most grating movie personalities in cinema history. A dark comedy doesn’t work if it isn’t funny and this movie is not. It’s clearly aimed at the current polarization of politics which should have been fertile ground. Barinholtz plays a very liberal news junkie who becomes increasingly strident about a loyalty oath the federal government is promoting. He’s confronted by an equally grating official as far right as he is left, again fertile ground that is left completely fallow. Barinholtz’ family and the audience is caught up in the increasingly inane situation. I’m astounded they could make an unfunny movie with this cast yet somehow they managed. Avoid this at all costs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involed in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment