Sunday, October 7, 2018

Medicinal Gatherings

The Three Musqueteras Last Night
Together and Posing

I’ve documented that this past week was spent battling a nasty little cold. I finally felt sufficiently improved yesterday to take a final step in my recovery – a thunder run back up to my hometown. Keene Friend was down with his usual hosting role and the drive up through central New England was just short of magical. The further north I drove the more colors began appearing as the trees begin their autumnal journey towards winter. Keene Friend and I were at our favorite sports bar shortly after my arrival and soaking in the ambiance that can only be associated with bombardment by every conceivable sport being contested around the world at that very moment.
My Kindergarten Best Friend and I Last Night
I Don't Think the Teacher Would Recognize Us
Cantankerous Friend wasn’t available as he was wending his way south for his annual Myrtle Beach sojourn however my best friend from kindergarten was able to make an appearance following grandson babysitting duties. While this was shorter than my usual adventures (no wife shopping while we waited) it was another case where hanging out with friends was just what was needed. Keene, but more so the people I inevitably hang out with there, has proven to be a reliable source of spiritual rejuvenation.
Wife in Middle of the Mafia

These Gals!!!

Birthday Girl on Left

I mentioned earlier the appearance of fall colors. Tomorrow is the Columbus Day holiday which my Favorite Panamanian and I usually spend driving around northern New England. Of course that won’t happen this year as she is also achieving some rejuvenation of her own in exactly the same manner I was – by hanging out with old friends. The three Musqueteras were partying together last night down in Virginia. It was the birthday of the Maine Musquetera so of course they were celebrating in Virginia so all three could be together. From the pictures she sent and the lilt in her voice I know the Fairfax County chapter of the Latin Mafia was out in force to support the reunion/birthday party.

The Red Sox imploded last night against the hated Yankees. I was so angry by the fifth inning I decided to drive home instead of waiting until this morning. Keene Friend was appropriately alarmed at my decision process but the thunder run was abbreviated and it had been more than four hours. David Price’s pitching was more than enough to sober me up completely. I didn’t see many colors during my midnight return home but did find an anxious wife trying to track down my location via the phone. Wifely supervision doesn’t end despite a 500 mile separation. In other family news the BRS is being subjected to the baby version of the pumpkin spice craze and seems to like it. These are a couple photos I captured from a video that is too large to embed here. She was very vocal in her praise of the orange stuff; it must come from her mother’ side of the equation.
I Don't Know What You Mean Grandpa

And I Wear it So Well
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got invole din planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latin friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment