Thursday, November 1, 2018

Subdued Fright Night

My Daughter, Wingman and their Threenager
At Yesterday's Parade

Part of getting older is leaving the fascinations of youth behind. Halloween use to be one of my favorite days of the year for all the candy and horror movie related reasons you can think of. I now have to vicariously experience it through the efforts of my children and granddaughters. Of course, that’s a bit of challenge since I still work and they are a couple hundred miles apart.
The FBR had both of her parents in thrall yesterday as my daughter took the day off from work so they could attend the town Halloween parade. They were all in costume and had a very busy day. I caught up with them just before FBR bedtime and the adults looked thoroughly exhausted. The FBR apparently has been in what was described as “a mood” for the past few days. My daughter wondered if it was just the excitement of Halloween or a forecast of the FBR moving from being in the “terrible twos” to being a “threenager”. I’d never heard that expression before and had to laugh.


The FBR was acting like a teenager and didn’t want anything to do with us when we called until I told her we had a new cat which she demanded to see. The cat was my wife wearing a cat mask which the FBR took in stride. Before she could help herself a small grin escaped before she clamped down. She then modeled her own costume for us and paid no more attention until I warned her not to let her parents eat all her candy as they had in previous years. This got her riveted attention as well as my daughter’s. it is a grandfather’s duty to protect.
Two Incredible Ladies
My Favorite Son was enjoying a celebratory beer with his crew after yesterday’s successful grand opening of the parking garage he oversaw the construction of for the past year. The ABFA made everybody jealous when we learned the Red Sox victory parade went directly below her Boston office yesterday. She and the BRS were waiting for the return of my son after his celebration. My son posted a very nice tribute to the support he received from both the BRS and the ABFA over the past year.
So Cool to See this Costume Made Famous by the FBR
We had another of Jekyll and Hyde Halloween nights in the neighborhood. The first year we had dozens of trick or treaters but the past couple years we were left with a lot of excess candy as only a few showed up. I thought we were in for another one of those until I answered the door and there were literally thirty kids lined up. This happened three different times. I guess they hunt in packs now but it was strange and exhausted all of the resident candy, much to my Favorite Panamanian’s chagrin.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involed in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment