Monday, November 19, 2018

Crawling Delight

Inside the Lab N Lager
I find myself in recovery mode and not from the delightful exertions of Saturday afternoon carousing through the streets of my hometown on my annual birthday pub crawl. This was the sixth year in a row that I’ve traveled back to the town I grew up in to travel to each of the downtown bars. Five years ago it was just my Favorite Son and I treasured the time spent together over the afternoon. Each year it’s gotten a little bigger as friends and family have heard about our annual adventure and attendant fun.
Penuche's Starting Point
This year was the biggest yet since a large number of the friends that have joined us over the years were high school classmates there was an effort to make it an official high school reunion event. I wasn’t that invested in the idea although I welcomed the additional personnel. I was going to do it anyways. My favorite cousin didn’t make it this year so the GPS monitoring device I had set up to insure we could track his location went to waste.
In The Cobblestone
The stalwarts were there. My son is the only person to attend each of the prior five crawls and he was at my side again, having obtained his annual dispensation from the ABFA (and the BRS for the first time). Great Aunt and Soxfather journeyed again from Rhode Island and my sister remembered to eat before the crawl began, having learned some hard lessons in prior years. The core group of Keene Friend, the Cantankerous One, as well as my best friend from kindergarten were with us from the first pub to the last.
Outside the Lab N Lager
There was a representative showing from the high school class this year. Each year one of my high school classmates who likes to hang off cliffs with her fiancé, complains about the lack of female representation. That was certainly solved this year as a number of female classmates showed up. One of these steadfast young ladies was recovering from a broken leg that will require a knee replacement but she gamely made her way to each of the bars and was officially designated as the hero of the crawl.
Inside Margarita's 
We started out at our usual starting point, gathering at Penuche’s literally across the street from where a couple of the attendees and I went to kindergarten. My kindergarten friend seemed to have an in at each of the bars we stopped at which leads me to question what this young man is doing with his free time and why I wasn’t able to do the same. A good starting group assembled including a new attendee this year, a retired Fire Captain from northern Maine. We’d been in cub scouts together. Of these type memories are connections forged.
Outside Margarita's
We made our way up to Main Street and the Cobblestone Pub. Kindergarten Friend introduced us to the owner of the place who was seated at the bar. He promptly bought an entire round for the whole group. I really enjoyed the atmosphere at Cobblestone but crawls require forward momentum and we couldn’t’ fall into the trap of lingering too long if we were going to make our appoint rounds.
Soxfather, Son, Keene Friend And River Boat Captain
Inside Pour House
We crossed the street to the Lab ‘N Lager which is always a fun stop. Any bar that combines a dog and beer in their name cannot fail. We got our usual window seat as the college kids who had raised themselves from their Saturday stupors started to appear and gawk at the white haired pub crawlers. We had to bypass our next scheduled stop, Kilkenny’s, because it was packed.
Into the Pour House Turn
I love Kilkenny’s and always worry I’ll return each year to find it has closed because it is the designated dive bar of the crawl. As we approached from across the parking lot I noticed the outside tables were all packed and I walked in the door to find it completely crammed inside as well. While this was good news compared to my fears of closing it meant we couldn’t get bogged down there as our group had grown too big. So it was back across Main Street to Margarita’s who had more than enough room to take us in.
Scores!!!
Kindergarten Friend’s daughter worked there so the connections continued. We commandeered five tables, pushed them together and put the waitress to work keeping us lubricated. A large number of attendees finally caught up with us here including the cliff hanger, the river boat captain, and in a huge surprise, my Favorite Panamanian. My wife usually avoids contact with us until much later in the day but she dove right in after only a brief time spent shopping for bathroom tile.
We stayed longer at Margarita’s since we had skipped Kilkenny’s. The only problem with this much larger group was getting them moving at the appointed time. I took up the challenge by issuing a loud five minute warning which several of my classmates took up in the same manner as a dedicated jumpmaster seeing the drop zone approaching.
Dark was falling as we headed up to Central Square for what has become known as the “Pour House Turn” . The Pour House is located where Sears used to be and is probably the quietest of all the bars on the crawl. I was delighted to find Keene Friend 2 and his wife waiting for arrival as we walked in. We call it the turn because this is the penultimate bar and we change direction there to return down Main Street to our final destination, Scores Sports Bar. We tried to convince some of the younger Pour House patrons that we had escaped from the local old folks home and had to keep changing bars to stay ahead of search parties.
Scores had just opened when I first started these crawls and from the second year has always served as the final resting spot (I know – poor choice of words). The college kids have ruined the tradition of having beer towers waiting for us which is probably not a bad thing. It serves as a great final destination because it’s centrally located and always has enough space to accommodate our large, somewhat boisterous, group.
Additional people came and went as the banter which had been non-stop from Penuche’s continued. This is what the pub crawl is all about, while drinking is certainly part of it, the most important aspect is the time with friends and family. I count the time I got to spend with my son, sister, brother in law, and those awesome high school classmates as the best possible birthday gift. I particularly enjoy the jousting between my son and Cantankerous Friend who is always in search of an adversary. I also don’t discount the pleasure from getting very nice hugs from two of my dream girls from high school days, but I digress. I can’t wait for next year.
The Other Birthday Boy (r) in Scores
Now back to that “recovery” comment. I always came through the crawls and aftermath fairly well, much to the consternation of my son who suffers the day after. He steadfastly refuses to believe in the magical healing qualities of Alka Seltzer. I was pretty tired because I’d thrown in some work for Deckzilla Dude both on Friday night and Saturday morning. We had to bump out the studs in the new addition in order to accommodate the required level of insulation. This was a rush job since the insulation guys were scheduled to show up on Saturday morning.
Wielding a Nail Gun for First time
Deckzilla Dude Safely Behind Me
Deckzilla Dude trusted me with use of his high powered nail gun which wasn’t without a few moments of consternation from anybody within range. I found it hard to get used to and had a number of situations where I double tapped the nails instead of cleanly applying one. I blame this on my military training. We got the job done but I showed up for the crawl a little more gassed than usual. We returned home on Sunday and immediately set about painting the guest room in preparation of the FBR’s arrival in a couple days. We were just about finished when we got her on the phone and she asked if we had painted it purple which is her favorite color. We hadn’t but we subsequently did. She has that effect on us.
Insulation Going in
It was a long day as the last thing I want to do after a pub crawl is to paint, one of my least favorite activities. Luckily my wife is not similarly encumbered and she did most of the fine work leaving me the more mundane heavy splashing portion. No matter how tired I am though, nothing can remove the smile I find plastered on my face as I recall the time spent with those wonderful people on Saturday.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involed in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

1 comment:

  1. It was a truly wonderful time! Sorry I had not realized it was your birthday. Laurie Jameson

    ReplyDelete