Friday, November 16, 2018

B-Day Storm and Muscle Memory

FBR and I Posted by my Daughter

I had a unique experience on my birthday yesterday which is saying something considering the number of the damned things I’ve acquired at this point. For the first time ever I had to contend with a snow storm on my birthday. It was supposed to be a minor thing, a couple inches and then rain over night. It turned out to be something a little more ambitious with ten inches falling over just a couple of hours. My wife made a gallant effort to make my day special but it was fairly mundane given the whole requirement to attend work. We went out for a very nice dinner and then cleaved a marble cake at home while fielding calls from the progeny. You’ll note my wife has taken to putting my birthday cakes on glassware in anticipation of my wielding of Bonecrusher
BRS Wife and I posted by My Son

BRS and I posted by ABFA

Also by ABFA
The FBR was in full snow play mode since the storm arrived earlier down in New Jersey. My daughter made the mistake of allowing the FBR out onto the deck while we were talking and then had a hell of a time coaxing her back into the house. My Favorite Son and the BRS also called in for an entertaining call where my son revealed that the day care teachers noted the BRS was incredibly more verbal since her visit to New Jersey over the weekend. Apparently hanging out with her cousin, the FBR, caused serious motivation towards a higher level of communication. Both of my kids and the ABF shared these photos on Facebook to mark my birthday which caused some serious tightening in my chest when Is aw them, thanks guys.
Bonecrusher Deployed


Thank you to all the friends who reached out via Facebook for the many well wishes I received yesterday. This is one of the coolest features of that beleaguered platform. After destroying a huge hunk of prime rib we would normally have ended up at the movie theater but the storm’s arrival prevented that. I didn’t want to be a wimp but that turned out to be a good call because the snow piled up faster than I’ve seen in a long time. We retired to the Man Cave where we watched a movie recommended by my daughter called Juliet Naked which was very funny and possessed of serious heart.
Deckzilla Last Night
I awoke around 3am and peeked outside to see the extent of the storm and was shocked to see how much snow had accumulated. I actually had trouble falling back to sleep as I cursed myself for not laying in a supply of gas for the snow blower. I was out there three hours later in what was now a driving rain storm. My off season practice of starting the snow blower each month paid off as it started right up and went to work, for about fifteen minutes. I ran out of gas just after clearing the street side of the driveway. Luckily my neighbor chose that moment to walk his dog and I was able to beg enough gas off him to finish the job. By the time I was finished I was thoroughly soaked and what I think of as my “snow removal muscles” were at the failure point. These are muscles used to push the snow blower and shovel around and were dormant until awoken from their summer slumber earlier than expected. Thank God this is the First Friday of the Week so appropriate medicinal concoctions can be consumed this afternoon. All of this in direct preparation for the tomorrow’s annual, epic pub birthday crawl back in Keene.
I Really Miss Having Access to my Garage

Great Aunt and I
Today is also auspicious because it marks the day all those years ago that I ruined the Great Aunt’s first birthday party with my untimely arrival the day before. It was a little difficult following her through school because she set such lofty standards and we always had the same teachers. Despite the carping from me and my younger sisters she never wavered in providing a sterling example which I credit directly in helping me navigate through life. She developed into a true friend once I matured enough to realize what I treasure I‘d been blessed with. So happy birthday Great Aunt, thanks for evolving into that role from being a great sister.

Mi Queridissima Hermanita!
In an example of kismet run rampant today also marks the birth of my wife’s sister, one of the key figures in the gang known worldwide as the PanaGals. My wife’s younger sister and I had a difficult start to our relationship all those years ago as she was very young and resented the big, dumb gringo who could barely speak Spanish who was kidnapping her favorite sister. Over the years our relationship has evolved to where she is truly one of my favorite people in the world. She shares the flashing eyes that my Favorite Panamanian uses to such great effect and I love spending time with her as it always involves some extending time laughing. So, Feliz Cumpleanos to mi queridissima hermanita!

We did get to the movies on Wednesday night as saw Bohemian Rhapsody. This was a lot of fun as Remi Malek continues his impressive start to a career. He totally nails the complicated and, at the time, controversial lead singer of Queen, Freddy Mercury. The film follows the formation of Queen and Mercury’s ups and downs over the ensuing years. I’d forgotten just how many iconic songs Queen was responsible for and I found myself transported back to the many memories of my youth the songs evoked. Mercury thrived during the time before all of a celebrity’s life was considered public domain or maybe he was one of the first victims of the information age’s intrusive ubiquity. While the film does descend into some tepid melodrama the music and Malek transport it to another level. In the immortal words of Conner Macleod and Queen – “Who Wants to Live Forever!”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involed in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment