Friday, November 2, 2018

A Swedish Conundrum

Our Destination

I was absorbed into the world of Swedish furniture behemoth Ikea last night. My wife and I have been scouring the local Worcester furniture stores for a pair of dressers that will form part of the new closet complex my wife has planned for the addition. After failing on three separate ventures I finally caved and agreed to journey to Stoughton where the nearest Ikea store is. I first had to pass through the traffic vortex where Routes 95 and 93 converge – this is not for the faint of heart.
The Starting Point of the Marathon
Soxfather drives through here every day on his way to work from Rhode Island. I don’t know how he does it. It was after six in the evening and it still took nearly 45 minutes to drive 10 miles. While I hate driving in congested traffic that is nothing compared to shopping with my wife. We are at the exact opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to appreciating the (any) shopping experience. Ikea is nothing if not vast and the Stoughton appears to be one of those designed for its purpose instead of shoehorning into an existing facility. Vast is truly an understatement. Despite the traffic I was glad we came late on a weeknight because just the size of the parking lot is intimidating. We initially followed my style and went immediately to the area where the dressers could be found and after some negotiating between the two of us went with the more expensive choice. I then set out to find the chosen articles while my Favorite Panamanian disappeared into the nether regions of the showroom.
Warehouse Area
It is kind of a cool set up. We took a picture of the tag which supposedly depicted where the dressers were located in the warehouse area and then I walked and walked and walked some more to reach that area. I swear I walked more last night at that place than I did on a couple of road marches during my Army career. I eventually found the right aisle and bin and thankfully the last two remaining of the selected dressers. After loading the six boxes onto an uncooperative cart I maneuvered further into uncharted regions to reach the checkout line and the eventually release into the aforementioned immense parking lot.
The Well Remembered Bed
By the time I returned to the showroom I was able to pinpoint my wife’s location which surprised me as she is usually a lot stealthier in these type situations. She acquired a number of smaller items as we wandered through the cavern like environs. We had a nostalgic moment when we ran across the same bed we had bought in an Ikea store in Virginia more than thirty years ago that was the first bed my son slept in after leaving the crib. That same Favorite Son and ABFA had asked us to look for some picture frames We found what I thought was right but were unable to call them to confirm because of poor cellular service due to the depths we had reached within the store. So I walked and walked and walked some more to reach a point where cell service returned. Once confirmed I then had to journey back to once again find my wife and hopefully nudge her towards the finish line. She eventually agreed and I was greatly assisted by the Ikea personnel who announced the store was closing in twenty minutes.
By the time we drove home (less than an hour total without traffic) and brought our acquisitions up to the second floor (dressers turn out to be fairly heavy) we were exhausted. I was left with the feeling that despite the challenges I really wish there was an Ikea store closer. They feature great quality and a truly immense variety of selection. Also I cannot complain in the least because today is of course the first Friday of the week which will be ceremoniously marked later today at Brew City. Since we’re going to be out of town/country next week my wife and I will be trying to do the early voting thing this afternoon.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involed in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment