Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Sort of Soaring

Yesterday was Monday and the last day before Super Tuesday which imposed the tidal wave of political adverts that were nearly impossible to avoid. I’m not sure how this advertising can have any genuine effect this deep into the campaign. I discussed this with my brother in law over the past weekend and the rise of both Trump and Sanders can be clearly labeled as a revolt of the voters against the current dysfunctional government. I just wish at least part of that revolt wasn’t so revolting.
Yes, Grandpa, I'm ready for my Closeup
In decidedly more pleasant news I think (stress on the hypothetical nature of my success) that I’ve successfully downloaded a video of the First Blog Reader laughing in the hands of Wingman. I hope you’re able to see it because it was purely medicinal yesterday laboring through that worst of all days – Monday. My granddaughter had a big day yesterday as she met one of her mother’s closest friends, an original member of the Curbside Girls, who was visiting L.A. Just from the pictures I can tell my granddaughter was suitably impressed with the innate quality in the aunt she was presented with.
Greeting her Curbside Aunt
We were scoured by the wind yesterday despite some unseasonably warm temperatures. I couldn’t find the plastic container (old laundry detergent box) I use in the back yard. While some of the earlier wind storms had moved it around this morning it was simply gone. I hope wherever it ends up it’s used with caution because it’s what I stored the plastic bags from cleaning up after Buddy’s backyard donations. Luckily yesterday was also rubbish day so it was empty. It probably blew away because it lacked the prodigious weight of Buddy’s daily contributions.
And Uncle
I’ve got three movies on tap this week and last night I saw the first – Eddie the Eagle. I kind of remembered the Eddie phenomena from the 1988 Olympics in Calgary and thought this was going to be an over the top biopic aimed at the heartstrings (that’s not a compliment). It was but that became forgivable due to the performances involved, especially Taron Egerton. I’m still not sure what to make of this actor, despite loving what he did in Kingsman, but this is another fantastic performance. He plays the bumbling dreamer with just the right amount of heart to make him completely lovable.
The pointed jabs at the British class system also find their mark. It was interesting to see the underdog played into a hero at the dawn of social media. Hugh Jackman tags along but this is clearly Egerton’s movie which is impressive in itself. For a young actor to dominate against such a seasoned pro says volumes about his talent, as well as Jackman’s lack of ego. So, not a great movie but significantly better than I expected/feared going in. As with any movie it could have used a little more screen time for Christopher Walken who was criminally underused.
So here’s the video, if it does work, prepare to be enthralled:







No comments:

Post a Comment