Thursday, March 31, 2016

Universe Balanced

Yep, A Little Happy
The fact that I’m writing today tells you the house passed the initial inspection by the returning Favorite Panamanian. I realize now, if I hadn’t before, that I’m a really “married” old guy because it felt so right to have her back at my side. The car drive from the airport was decidedly livelier than anything else I’ve experienced over the past three months as she breathlessly caught me up on everything that had passed during our separation. I played a trick on her when I met her at the airport. I usually show up with a dozen roses and when she saw I didn’t have any she asked why not. I told her that I was so busy at work that I forgot. When she got to the car she found the roses waiting for her which had the predictable effect.
The Rose Surprise

The Entire Haul
Based on the state of the house I went with three dozen roses, the other two dozen placed in strategic spots at home. Since she hadn’t eaten for a while we stopped off at a Worcester restaurant for a late dinner. We were just walking into the restaurant when she received a FaceTime call from our granddaughter – again – a predictable reaction to that event. It was a very nice welcome home.
Sangria and Some Dinner

Surprise Dessert
Buddy was unsurprisingly apoplectic with her arrival although he did seem more interested in the rawhide bone – a Wednesday tradition. She was very subtle about conducting the inspection but there was no doubt in my mind what was happening. She was very pleased with the kitchen/bathrooms but – critical to my continued existence – all the house plants were still alive!
Her Last Surprise
Here’s a tip from an old married guy for those of you still embarking on the process. Find a way to make your spouse feel special, even after that initial period of romantic bliss. A few weeks ago my mother in law mentioned during a phone conversation how much my wife likes Spanish poetry. We’ve been married for over thirty four years and this was news to me. I shouldn’t be surprised because she’s a hopeless romantic on all levels. When she returned home last night she found a book of romantic poetry in Spanish waiting for her. Needless to say I was a hero and she didn’t even notice I failed to dust the furniture. The only downside is that I have to recite one of the poems from the book to her each night – everything has a price.

We ended the night back in our usual position on the couch laughing together at Modern Family while Buddy disintegrated the bone in front of us. These separations have become together as we get older. Despite the hectic past few days I couldn’t be happier to have her and the attendant supervision back at my side, universe balanced, indeed.











No comments:

Post a Comment