Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Allegiance Strained

So I’m the semi-proud owner of a new couch which my wife assures me that I’m going to love. That’s an important point because this couch will be sheparding my fourth point of contact through retirement years down in Panama where I’ve pledged to finally watch, again, all these movies I can’t seem to stop buying. The couch is going into our beachfront retirement condo down in Panama which is still a year away from completion. I’m now seven days away from reuniting with my Favorite Panamanian and we can jointly peruse the monthly credit card bill; not that it will help, of course.
Future Couch Potato Position Holder
My hopefully last dateless date night yesterday since next Tuesday will be spent on house cleaning and trying to remember where all those damned pillows go on the bed. They’ve been sitting on the floor since she departed. Luckily her expectations aren’t as lofty as her standards as she knows the material (me) that she’s got to work with.

I went to see Allegiant, the third in the Divergent series and it is as bad as you’ve probably heard. They followed the tried and true method of splitting up the last book in a trilogy in the interest of making more money on two versus one film. Hopefully this will crash and burn so badly that Hollywood abandons that flawed concept. Losing Kate Winslet really hurts because surprisingly Naomi Watts as one of the lead villains fails miserably. They also kill off Maggie Q early which I took a personal affront to.
Our jolly band of angst filled teenagers is bound and determined to escape the walled in existence in Chicago to investigate the burned landscape outside. Of course they discover an even more sinister threat beyond the blasted lands, led by eerily evil bureaucrat (I know – redundant) Jeff Daniels. They spend way too much time in CGI world instead of with the fine actors which was the strength of the earlier movies. If you saw the trailer for this movie (hard to avoid that) then you know the entire plot, which really is just a placeholder for the final (they promise) movie in this series.

At any rate, if credit card bills, an impending cleaning frenzy, and a bad movie try to lower morale all I have to do is look at the daily edition of photos from the left coast and all is well:








No comments:

Post a Comment