Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Inputting Day

Okay, lots of pictures today so I’ll try and keep the words to a minimum (you are welcome). I called it inputting day because I finally got around to entering all the movie codes I found during my movie collection re-organization. While several had expired, most, even those past expiration day, worked. My daughter instructed me earlier in the year on how to do this and she would have been proud of me when my account crashed and I was able to re-create it without her or her brother’s help, that’s called progress. When the dust cleared I now have digital access to over 160 of my movies, although I did cringe when I entered some of the codes (what was I thinking when I bought this movie type thing). That’s less than 10% of all the movies I have but it’s a start.
The Stack of Codes
My wife is still complaining about the intense heat Panama is experiencing. Why this is a surprise each year when she returns continues to elude me. She and her sister, one of the venerated PanaGals, spent the afternoon lounging in one of the nearby rivers, one of my personal favorite activities when visiting Panama.
A Face I Really Miss

Soaking with her Sister

Beating the Heat



Speaking of Panama the construction company sent some more photos of the progress on our Las Lajas condo. As you can see they’re a lot sexier than the ones I recently took.



My daughter sent a huge bevy of photos of the First Blog Reader, including some that reached back to our recent trip to Panama and Kasazul.
I Love this Picture of her with Wingman

Quality reading Time with her Curbside Aunt





With her Mom and Great Grandparents in Panama

With her Uncle/Godfather

Dressing up to Party

Hanging with Grandpa
I wandered down to the movies again last night and saw The Gods of Egypt, which was a glorious mess of a movie. It purports to show ancient Egypt at a time when the actual Gods lived amongst the people; granted they were all ten feet tall, bled gold, and spoke with a variety of European accents. I say a mess because this movie is totally incomprehensible at times with a leaden plot and wooden actors. Some films (Sin City and 300 to name a couple) embrace total immersion in CGI and make it work. Whoever made this did not. By trying to do too much they ended up not doing enough, if that even begins to make sense.

With an all-CGI movie you have to care about the characters and outside of the sprightly human duo, all the “gods” were just kind of there. Gerard Butler as the bad god chewed up his usual amount of scenery but his Scottish brogue was so thick at times as to be unintelligible. Coster-Waldau as the hero doesn’t connect with his plucky human sidekick or the audience. I think this was supposed to be his big “coming out” film but he fails at almost every turn. So a disaster of a movie but visually stunning, at least we see who’d win a fight between Jaime Lannister and King Leonidas.

In other movie news we lost one of my favorite character actors of all time with the passing of George Kennedy. He was good in virtually everything he did but I'll remember him as the bully turned storyteller in Cool Hand Luck, Chris in the reboot of the Magnificent Seven movies, and the victimized compatriot of Leslie Nielson in the Naked Gun movies. Rest in Peace Dragline, Luke's waiting for you.
R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment