Sunday, March 27, 2016

Easter Questing

First of all, Happy Easter to all, said with a fervent hope that you are spending the day with the people you love. To those who ascribe to the more pagan side with rabbits and eggs (those with small children) – I’m jealous. While I’m probably the world’s worst Catholic I do feel a sense of joy today as we celebrate His rising.
My Son and I Yesterday
Yesterday got off to kind of a rocky start. Since I’m lucky enough to be attending Easter celebrations on both weekend days I had to spread out my usual Sunday marathon of chores. In my wife’s absence the grill on the back deck has received a major winter workout that exhausted the supply of propane. Since that’s my preferred method of charring dead animal flesh this meant an additional trek was needed, crowding an already full program of errands.
ABFA and Son
All was going well before my planned trip north to Nashua when I noted that at some point in my rushing around I’d dropped the family checkbook. It’s not that I have anything but the highest opinion for the citizens of Worcester but I could just imagine some junkie writing out a series of checks while I scrambled trying to find it. I retraced my steps frantically checking under the cars in places I’d parked and inquiring at customer service desks. I finally admitted defeat and trudged towards the bank to coordinate a defense when I decided to take one last look in my car. It had apparently fallen out of my jacket while I drove and then the force of gravity, assisted by my traffic gyrations, moved it far underneath the back seat.
ABFA's Parents in Doorway and the Plate of Blossoms
While grateful for the discovery I was now late leaving for the ABFA’s parents’ house and their annual Easter dinner. I made up some of the time (some more gyrations) but I did miss the Easter egg hunt involving the younger generation of ABFAnites. It was nice to see everyone, most for the first time since the wedding, and as usual I felt completely welcomed into the close knit family group. The ABFA’s mom was also a welcome sight since she underwent a health scare which kept them from joining us on our Panamanian sojourn in February. A huge ham dinner and great company was haunted by the lingering plate of pristine peanut butter blossom cookies that offered a direct challenge to my keto discipline. The less said about the result of that battle the better.
My Cousin and I at Brew City
It was a great afternoon hanging with these special people. I’ve been so isolated for most of the past couple months that it takes an afternoon like yesterday to realize how much I cherish being around family. All too soon I was preparing to head home when I received a text from yet another side of the family. I wrote yesterday about my favorite cousin coming to Worcester for an NCAA playoff hockey game. I thought there was a chance I’d see him after the game but he reported he was at Brew City for the next three hours because he got the time of the game wrong.
My Cousin's Son
After a quick pit stop at the homestead to address Buddy’s requirements and receive a serious scolding from him for abandoning him on a weekend day that clearly belonged to him I abandoned him again. My cousin and his son were safely ensconced at Brew City being attended to by the incomparable Lady Therese. They had wisely identified themselves as relatives of mine although I think the amount of beer they were sending downrange gave that connection away.
Las Lajas Yesterday
I spent the next two hours catching up with both of them which was a completely superior scenario than another solitary night at home. The Cali-Daughter and her progeny tried to connect with us for a FaceTime call but the noise in the bar prevented any conversation although we were allowed to bask momentarily in the vision that is my granddaughter. My cousin’s son is a fine young man on the cusp of landing a new job that will hopefully bring him back to central Massachusetts and his family. It’s nice to see this youngest generation of my father’s side of the family still ascribing to the importance of family my generation learned at the feet of an incredible collection of my father’s brothers and sisters.

My Wife (in hat) Surrounded by Family at Las Lajas

PanaGals Massing

Las Lajas

Start of Panamanian Major League Baseball Season in David
After I dropped them off at the hockey arena I returned home for a long FaceTime call with my Favorite Panamanian. She was tanned and exhausted from another family reunion at our favorite beach, Las Lajas. The family gathered and feted her there because this was her last weekend in Panama before returning to gringoland. While I was intensely jealous that she not only had another chance to hang out with some of my favorite people in the world (her family) at my favorite beach in the world (site of our future winter home) I had to admit I hadn’t done too shabbily myself. A very good day (well except for the checkbook shenanigans). Note to self – START CLEANING HOUSE – she’s back in three days!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment