Monday, March 7, 2016

House Sitting

Both my wife and I were house bound yesterday on our 34th wedding anniversary. That would not necessarily be a bad thing except the houses involved happen to be a few thousand miles apart. We made up for that with a series of FaceTime calls which really do seem to help a lot more than the garden variety telephone calls. I’ve never been good at long phone conversations, something that drives my wife, an elite practitioner of the art to distraction. With the FaceTime calls she can see when I’m starting to drift away when she starts into one of her five minute long explanations of, well, anything. I missed being with her yesterday but at least I woke up in a house inhabited by the Favorite Son.
Wife Sent me this Photo to Remind Me We Don't Spend Every Anniversary Apart
Plus She hates her Hairdo from the Wedding Pics
Unfortunately that wasn’t bound to last as he had a much closer wife to return to. Buddy sensed the departure of his favorite human and rarely left his side during the time he stayed. Of course it could have been the bacon which both my son and I made a serious run at overdosing on yesterday morning.
Buddy Guarding my Son Yesterday Morning
The rest of the day was solitary. I grilled an enormous steak which served as two meals. I was just sitting down to engage in round two when the Next Door Mafioso (AKA baest neighbors ever) called to invite me over for some chicken. The steak won out. I didn’t realize the US postal service was operating on Sundays but I surprisingly received a package yesterday which turned out to be another puzzle. I ordered it from Amazon and didn’t realize while it’s a 1000 piece puzzle it’s one with small pieces which will be a challenge; anything to kill the solitariness.

The New Puzzle
I realized another very potent weapon in that fight when I discovered that the new season of House of Cards was on Netflix. I polished off four episodes yesterday before I apparently wore out the internet connection. The show continues to be thoroughly captivating; tapping into the disgust just about everybody outside of DC feels about Washington politics. Interestingly this season seems to pit Frank against Claire, a true heavy weight match between the sleazy politician and the ice queen enabler. I’m betting on Claire.







No comments:

Post a Comment