Friday, March 11, 2016

Southern Singing

On The Loose Last Night, Sister in Law in Leather Pants!
The irresistible social force that is the PanaGals was unleashed on a sleepy Panamanian town last night. The PanaGals led by their ringleader and mentor, the Favorite Panamanian, stormed a karaoke bar at a nearby and completely unsuspecting resort. I’m sure they’re licking their wounds today and counting their blessings at having survived this wave of Panamanian pulchritude.
My Wife (in yellow) is Working on the Standard Panamanian Photo Pose
I’m glad my wife was finally able to get out with the girls last night. While I give her a gentle ribbing here from time to time at flying south to avoid New England’s winter she does put in some long hours caring for her aging parents. It’s thankless work but she does it willingly and I know it’s a Godsend for her parents who achieve a lot more freedom from the aging process while she’s down there. She kind of has that effect on people; probably why I feel so old in her absence.
Alright, so Who's the Dude My Wife has her Army Around!
I used that senior discount last night seeing yet another movie, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. This is a Tina Fey project where she plays a TV journalist sent to Afghanistan ten years ago. She’s thrust into a chaotic world of war as well as the hedonistic retreat of the media compound where she lives with other journalists. The movie’s okay and is aimed squarely at the plight of Afghan women. There are some very funny moments, especially when Fey interacts with the US military. The filmmakers did a very good job of capturing the relationship between the military, especially NCOs, and embedded reporters.

Fey is very good in this, as are Margot Robbie (who really is more than just a pretty face, amongst other features), and Bilbo Baggins who shows up as a Scottish love interest. I liked the movie even though it couldn’t make up its mind if it was a comedy or drama. I guess it’s called a dramedy but without going full dark comedy or serious drama the viewer is kind of left in the middle trying to figure out if some of the maybe inadvertent comedy should be laughed at. I left feeling there was a better story (and movie) just beyond reach.








No comments:

Post a Comment