Sunday, March 13, 2016

High Road to Rhode

Keene Friend and I Enjoying the Company at McShawn's
You’ll excuse me if I’m a little foggy this morning. That is the expected aftermath of another legendary thunder run to Rhode Island and our “go to” Irish pub – McShawn’s. Keene Friend joined me in the late afternoon for the run down to the Ocean State. My sister had prepared a literal feast while the men folk gathered in front of the television to discuss sports and watch some of the preliminary March madness conference championships. My sister’s young lab Remy was as exuberant as only a lab puppy can be. As the food approached Remy had to be sentenced to his cage as he wasn’t able to resist the huge amounts of dead animal flesh in play. My sister gave me a “doggy bag” of some of the leftover meat which the freed Remy assumed was meant for him. He even mounted a rocking chair trying to reach it. It was highly entertaining.
Remy in his Cage

Part of the Gang Including my Sister
We then moved over to McShawn’s to find my brother in law’s entire family gathered to share the evening. I’ve written before how much I enjoy hanging out with these remarkable people and last night was no exception. Our usual table was occupied so we set up shop at the end of the bar and a couple nearby tables. The evening passed in a blur as we caught each other up on the past few months and I was able to extol the virtual perfection of my granddaughter. I attempted to connect a Facetime call with California and received a stern text message from my daughter informing me that she was preparing said granddaughter for bed and was not to be trifled with.


Conversing with the Prognosticator of Red Sox Doom
I’ve said it many times before and last night bore witness to this simple truth – there’s nothing to compare with quality time with good friends and family. If you then throw in a welcoming Irish pub and you’re approaching Nirvana. Keene Friend wisely volunteered to drive us back home which I was occasionally awake for. It was just too good a time, if that is even possible.









No comments:

Post a Comment