Friday, March 4, 2016

Horrifying But Welcome

A discussion like this is best held for Fridays since there’s always the opportunity to drown the scarier moments in afternoon/evening adult beverages. It looks more and more like it’s going to be Trump versus Clinton for the presidential election and that is scarier than any of the versions of the Exorcist I’ve seen. People who know my history with that film can appreciate that last statement. While Clinton is the ultimate party hack, the last few days have shown just how scared the Republican establishment is threatened by Trump.
Heir Apparent to Linda Blair
That could be a welcome development, not Trump (for God’s sake), but the concept of “the people” running roughshod over a political party’s power. I also believe that’s behind Bernie Sander’s surprisingly strong challenge. People, including myself, have watched the encroaching power of the political parties that is found nowhere in the Constitution. It’s been allocated to the parties by their elected functionaries and in many cases now has the power of law. That’s a problem, especially given the resurgence of financial support from the moneyed elite. It’s led to the dysfunctional form of congressional government we are now in thrall to. It would be nice to think that this is the opening battle of a campaign by the American people to take back their inherent rights in the political process. I’ve always been an optimist.
Back in the solitary Worcester life I finished off the latest puzzle which Buddy is ecstatic about. He groans dramatically whenever I sat down to work on it. Apparently the lack of attention he receives during my puzzle time is a serious issue for him. He almost caught one of the rabbits that haunt our late night back yard last night. It’s probably not a good idea to go into the freeze mode when you’re still inside a charging black lab’s chain range. Luckily, for him, he figured that out just in time to zig zag away. Buddy was extraordinarily proud of himself for protecting me from this dangerous threat. He sat down in front of his box of treats when we came inside and refused to move until I recognized his extraordinary heroism with an extra treat.

Curbside Gals
The Curbside girls celebrated one of their birthdays yesterday and if photos are to be believed (and why wouldn’t they?) a good time was had by all, including the First Blog Reader. I actually forgot to send the photos to myself to post on the blog today. Between meetings I ran back home and rectified that heinous omission. It’s just hard to start the day without my daily granddaughter fix. My solitude will take a serious beating in the immediate future as First Friday celebrations loom as does the Saturday afternoon arrival of my Favorite Son.







No comments:

Post a Comment