Thursday, July 31, 2014

Sanity Check and Farewell to Arm

It’s been fairly hectic at work for the last week as I had a huge project to complete before my wedding related sabbatical.  I finally put that to bed late yesterday and it was really well received by the customer this morning.  I had another of my weekly sanity lunches with the son entering his final week of bachelorhood.  We discussed his mother’s frantic scramble to the finish line with her choice for mother-son dance music which provided ample fodder for a lunch that was, as always, way too short.
The Weekly Photo and Last One as a Single Guy
Apparently the MEF doesn’t realize that at times I take a bit of artistic license here on Frail Deeds and may exaggerate a bit, especially if it involves the spousal unit.  My tendency to wander from the “accepted” or “polite” has struck again.  My son, to his credit, knows his mother well enough to glean the facts from my embellished (but not that much) storytelling to calm his fiancé who was concerned for her future mother in law’s sanity (interestingly, no one ever seems to question mine, things that make you go hmmm).

My recently acquired prowess with my wife’s newest cleaning gadget was put to the test last night.  She sentenced Buddy to the basement around 10pm and handed me the task (alright – I volunteered) of cleaning and then polishing the entire downstairs hardwood floors.  I got off to a great start on the polishing phase when I dropped the bottle which spilled a lot of the polish.  Well, it was going on the floor anyways – I just had a new starting point.  I didn’t finish until almost 1am.  The floor where I still had polish to use looks great; the rest – well, not so much.  They only included a small bottle of wax with the machine which was not up to the task of our entire first floor.  She’s out to buy some more today so I’ll probably be back behind the damned thing again tonight.

Going and Coming
I was just sitting down to write this morning when the news came that the Red Sox had traded their best pitcher, John Lester.  In this forgettable Red Sox season his imminent trade was a foregone conclusion since he’s in his walk year.  While I was resigned to losing him I’m dumbfounded by what they got in return, Yoenis Cespedes, the powerful right handed bat they’ve needed for years.  Lester was a true stud and instrumental in two World Series championships, as well as a no-hitter, and a true stand-up guy.  There’s a slim chance he could even return as a free agent signing after the season but this is a real win for the Sox, who can’t seem to produce a power bat through their minor league system. This year (I’m not complaining) just got a whole lot more promising; actually I meant next year.   

No comments:

Post a Comment