Sunday, July 20, 2014

Silver Linings Things

Since I abandoned the wife for half of our weekend nights on Friday night I felt the need to recover some lost ground.  She was supportive of my Red Sox night out with the boys but it did seem a little unfair to just spend the other weekend night at home.  Our footloose daughter was out with the MEF bachelorette extravaganza where she apparently beat a nautical dance floor into submission.  I’m sure there’ll be some stories from that adventure.  She comes by her dancing genes honestly and not from her Anglo-Saxon side.
Daughter and MEF Last Night With the Ship Borne Posse
The genetic donor I am married to therefor was a little overjoyed (euphoric would be a more accurate description) when I told her I was taking her out dancing last night.  This followed a truly exciting day at home where we shopped for shoes on amazon (I’m sure you accurately guessed who the shoes were for) and weeded gardens all day while Buddy provided squirrel overwatch.
Maxwell's Last Night
Maxwell Silverman’s performed his task admirably by providing an excellent atmosphere where a middle aged couple could bust a few dance moves without the usual youthful scorn.  One of the downsides to the keto diet (besides missing cupcakes) is the occasional muscle cramp.  Friday night I woke out of a dead sleep when my lower leg seized up and refused to cooperate.  I was a little leery about the dancing I committed to but sufficient aquatic intake sufficed to keep me in the same time zone as the dancing queen wife.  A truly fun night, she’s a great date, especially when dancing is involved.
R.I.P.
Some sad news out of Hollywood where one of my childhood idols, James Garner, passed away.  While the current generation remembers him as the older version in the Nicolas Sparks weep-a-thon, The Notebook, I will always remember him like this (see photo).  A true leading man who seemed like a regular guy despite all his success, he was also a combat decorated veteran.  Sleep well Mr. Rockford, you’ve earned it and thanks for all the smirks.

Today also marks the 45th anniversary of the first moon landings.  It was one of those where were you then moments.  I clearly remember being in the darkened upstairs of a vacation lake cottage with my favorite cousin when our aunt called us down to hear the news on radio.  Yes, the news also used to come via radio; I just can’t believe it was that long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment