Saturday, July 19, 2014

Red Sox Rendezvous and Chattering Rest Rooms

I was gearing up for a mundane Friday, not that I consider any Friday mundane, being it is always the momentous first Friday of the week.  My daughter absconded with my wife’s car so she could journey into the wilds of northern New Hampshire to fest with the MEF at her bachelorette party.  That meant my wife seized control of my car for the day for her own adventures.
My Daughter Yesterday
She Sent this photo To Her Mother Who Said She Should Show Her
Beautiful Teeth When She Smiles, the photos Below Were the Response

That meant she would have to operate without her safety blanket of navigation devices.  Since her course-plotting skills are rivaled only by my elder (but not much) sister.  This meant that I received several panicked phone calls over the day and had to talk her through some misoriented phases as she tried to use some of my short cuts to avoid construction.  The classic point was when I talked her through a couple turns and she admitted she’d been there three times only to turn back because she lost confidence.
Lansdowne Street Last Night
I was in a good mood throughout the day though because of an impending visit to Fenway Park for Saturday.  A co-worker had a connection and scored some free tickets which were supposed to be right behind home plate. Halfway through yesterday morning I was advised that the tickets were actually for Friday night’s game and not at the promised location.  My co-worker felt bad but since you couldn’t beat the price we journeyed into Boston to link up with our excellent boss and various members of my co-worker’s large Italian family.
Cask and Flagon
His family was a real hoot including his 81 year mother who was up for partying with us youngsters all night.  We started out trying to find an appropriate pre-game watering hole.  We hoped for some Cask and Flagon time but there was a 45 minute wait.  I even checked into a place where we used to take my daughter for dinner whenever we visited her when she attended nearby Boston University.  We ended up in a basement bar of Copperfield’s who had a bartender who we had to be even older than our octogenarian fellow partier. 
It was a great time spent with my co-worker’s lively family.  They were full of stories that only a close-knit and very large family can produce.  Since I had consigned several beers to their ultimate fate I bowed to the needs of nature.  While taking care of that requirement in an empty rest room the urinal started talking to me!  I thought I’d seen every marketing ploy ever invented but some enterprising (I assume young) marketer created talking disks promoting some event and placed them in the urinals.  I shudder to think what activated the message.
Fenway was Typically Full
Since game time was approaching we reluctantly abandoned our subterranean haunt.  We grabbed a couple Fenway franks while making our way into the game.  Our seats were in the grandstands but offered a good view of the game.  My co-worker and his girlfriend had seats just a few rows from the first base line and encouraged us to join them.  We were there for all of five minutes when the real seat owners showed up and my co-worker admitted he had tried to pull a fast one, back to the grandstands.
Our Assigned Seats

The Five Minute View
At the beginning of the third inning my co-worker’s family who had seats right behind home plate called us down since they weren’t really sports fans and wanted to check out a special club inside the park.  They said we could sit in their seats for a couple innings while they were so engaged.  I was therefore granted a long held dream of sitting right behind home plate at Fenway only eight rows behind the action.  I was in heaven, the best seats I’d ever had at Fenway.  Apparently the club was awesome because we ended up spending the rest of the very exciting game right there.

A Dream Realized

Koji in For the Save!

I'm in the Red Shirt With the Arrow Pointing at Me
My co-worker dropped me off at home sometime in the very early morning but it was time well spent.  I realized a long held dream and had my first ever conversation with a urinal.  Not a bad day, at all.  
You Knew I was Going to Put a Picture of the Talking Urinal
I Apologize, I Cropped As Much as I Could

No comments:

Post a Comment