Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Pre-Wedding Crisis Control

The wedding is now less than two weeks away and my wife is approaching critical mass about issues she considers herself responsible for.  I came home yesterday to find her a quivering, stress filled mess as she’d spent a large portion of the day trying to finalize her selections for the mother-son dance.  She was frustrated by her lack of computer expertise and her general lack of decisiveness.
This is usually where I step in (technologically a very small pond, decisiveness less so). 
This led a very frustrating hour on the I-Pad as she tried to explain what she needed.  The I-Pad was not constructed with my less than nimble, large fingers in mind.  This led to further stress which even the dog picked up on.  I was ready to consign the damned thing to the third level of hell after a couple inadvertent touches.  It was obvious she (we) needed a break after we reached a general consensus and luckily it was date night.
What Her I-Pad Almost Ended Up Looking Like
Less than fortunate was the choice of movie, And So It Goes, where Diane Keaton continued to cement her new found fame as an elder hottie.  This movie was just off.  It didn’t have the sharp dialogue and subtle humor I’ve come to expect from a Rob Reiner effort.  I guess he went full meathead in choosing the writing team for this.
Michael Douglas plays an aging widowed real estate agent who’s a complete boor to everyone around him.  He has an unknown granddaughter thrust onto him which leads him to Keaton.  Douglas seems to have mailed this in despite the fact his character must deal with a drug addict son, something he has real world experience with.  Francis Sternhagen steals all her scenes as the elderly curmudgeon buddy to Douglas.  I’m guessing this was supposed to be about finding meaning in life but it stayed to safely on the surface.

The New Toy
I continued my battle to rescue my wife’s shattered morale by promising to set up and demonstrate how to use her new floor cleaning system after the movie.  It was fairly simple and after I got started I didn’t want to stop, it was kind of fun (boys and their toys kind of thang).  I finished the entire upstairs while she puttered around offering well meant (but less well received) advice.  As I put it away for the night I realized she had somehow got me to do the work she had set for herself to do.  I had been “Tom Sawyered”!  I’ve got to get a copy of that wife’s manual on maneuvering husbands.  She’s always a step ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment