Saturday, July 12, 2014

Firsty Friday

In a rare departure I wasn’t really looking forward to a First Friday of the week.  We had a late afternoon meeting scheduled between the political leaders, management, and the union.  Who schedules a meeting like that late on Friday afternoon?!  Then my wife rode to the rescue, with a medical appointment of all things.

A member of the Panamanian Mafia was going to accompany her but bailed out the night before.  My wife said she could do it herself but I saw the opportunity to be a stand-up guy and simultaneously bow out of a potentially painful meeting – win/win.  The appointment went well and we just happen to travel back down Shrewsbury Street as we left the hospital passing by – you guessed it – Brew City!
My Savior/Wife Tex ting Away at Brew City
My wife was amendable to celebrating First Friday but she did look a little askance when all the waitresses seemed to know me so well and my drink order showed up unasked for.  She soon had them charmed into submission though and we before long we were joined by my excellent boss along with a couple other co-workers.  My boss confirmed the meeting was as much fun as I guessed and was seriously in need of liquid solace.
More Attentive at Zorba's
We eventually adjourned for dinner at Zorba’s which we’d missed for the last couple weeks.  The excellent staff there was more than capable of keeping the First Friday ball rolling.  As we left there my wife stole a page out of the MEF’s playbook and diverted us for an ice cream stop on the way home.  So a day rescued from the pits by spousal intervention – not a bad thing – whatsoever.

The people in Cleveland are even more ecstatic about yesterday as Lebron James is returning.  I’ve been singularly caustic in whatever I’ve written about him and certainly the modern NBA but I kind of liked this story.  The prodigal son returns to his hometown to finally give this long suffering city a winner.  We’ll see about that.  I still won’t watch the NBA until they start enforcing basic rules of the game like travelling, carrying as well as letting certain players get away with whatever because they’re stars.  The quintessential team game needs to evolve back into its base form instead of this abysmal “street” game that I find unwatchable.

No comments:

Post a Comment