Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Hidden Travels

So today I break my streak of daily driving of at least three hours at five days.  The past weekend plus was a little hectic but entirely too much fun to complain about.  Monday provided its normal dose of actual employment which did offer the opportunity to catch a few breathes since I was glued behind a computer for most of the day (there’s something criminal about that on such a beautiful summer day).

The last day of my driving streak did include the onerous task of returning my daughter to her NYC life via transit through Connecticut traffic quagmire.  This is never a welcome duty but I could tell she was itching to get back to the Wing Man and a lonely cat or two (tough to compete against that combination).  My daughter did contribute on the trip down further embellishing her growing reputation for navigational acumen. 
I'll Miss This Face
She’s already mastered the google maps app that routes us around Connecticut’s never ending attempts to create traffic standstills through poorly timed construction projects (I mean, who shuts down a major interstate during rush hour traffic!).  She unveiled a new app on her I-phone which reported the location of police cars along the route.  I’m not saying I was speeding but I may have been shading the upside of some posted speed limits so this was welcome route intel.  She was back in the Big Apple where Wing Man greeted her with flowers and Pee Wee the cat with long overdue cuddle time.  I personally think Buddy is superior in this department but she’s a cat person; I miss her, despite her feline affliction.
A Very Happy NYC Cat Last Night

Less Happy Parents at New Haven Train Station
I finished what I thought was the last of my Scot Horvath thrillers with Hidden Order yesterday.  The author, Brad Thor, takes a new tact with his legendary hero inserting him into a pretty straight forward murder mystery.  Since it is Horvath there are hordes of CIA hit men and nefarious bankers involved as well.  Horvath is tasked to assist the Boston P.D. to investigate a series of gruesome killings aimed at the Federal Reserve and incorporating a lot of American Revolutionary War history.

Horvath does what Horvath does so there’s a robust body count at the end and America is saved once again.  He’s teamed up with yet another beautiful woman (he’s lucky that way); a Boston police detective.  They end up on a Cape Cod beach together falling in love and she hasn’t even been shot in the head.  Yet.  I kind of hope this one survives, Horvath deserves some happiness.  The even better news is that Thor has published another book in the series while I was making my way through the earlier ones so I’ll find out shortly if she makes it.  It was uploaded to my trusty Kindle shortly after learning this so stay tuned, or better yet – start reading Thor’s work.  It rocks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment