Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Wayward Travelling to Cool Home

I wrote yesterday about the A/C dude on station attempting to fix the upstairs air conditioning before my wife returned from Virginia.  It turned out to be a very simple problem which took nearly five hours to fix.  A simple tube used to drain condensation bent over and shut down the entire system.  There was nothing simple about fixing it though.  The repair guy had to return to Worcester to get the needed parts.  It took him over two and a half hours to do that while I waited at home.  I’m no travel agent but unless he was using my wife’s navigation skills (see below) there’s a full hour and a half unaccounted for.  The fun part will be if I get a bill charging me for the full 5.5 hours of labor.  Friends in New Hampshire might hear the screaming.
It cost me a full half day at work which didn’t exactly cripple my morale but it’s always frustrating to be imprisoned by the vagaries of a repairman’s schedule.  On the up side the air conditioning is now working better than it ever has, even in the sunbaked rooms upstairs.  I considered the house fully prepared for the spousal return inspection which I thought might coincide with the repairman’s departure. 
They're Both Turning Again!
She and her fellow “musquetera” had been on the road since 8am (right in line with their scheduled 6am departure).  That should have had them back home in the late afternoon. I was therefore surprised (on certain levels) when I got home to find the house still empty.  Shortly after arriving I received a call from the wife who reported they were on the road to Canada!  I gave them turn by turn directions (and they had a GPS!) before they left but they somehow had yet again missed a critical turn.  You don’t have to be Einstein to guess that the need for conversation took precedence over navigational attentiveness.  
You Can See How Well the Sign to I-84 is Concealed
The directions I gave them instructed to follow the signs to I-84 when they reached Scranton, PA via I-81.  They somehow interpreted that to mean stay on I-81 as it headed for the Great White North.  They were somewhat evasive exactly how far north they got but I’m guessing it was not a small distance.  I talked them back onto the correct path and they experienced no further issues.  They spent the last part of the trip trying to concoct reasons why I was to blame for their side trip.  They were ultimately unsuccessful in this endeavor.

The Directionally Challenged But Undeniably Beautiful Musqueteras at Home Last Night
The exhausted Latinas pulled in around 10pm and the house was once again infused with the life and spirit only a certain Panamanian can create.  I received a blow by blow recitation of their directional follies as well as their Virginia adventures.  My wife’s best friend, her I-Phone, was dead and I was called upon to resurrect it from the grave.  This is usually a task I delegate to my more qualified and savvy daughter.  I thought briefly of waking her up in NYC but since it was already after 11pm I decided to give it a try.  It’s not without a certain amount of pride that after an hour and a half with the damned thing connected to the home computer I was able to breathe new life into the device.  The pride was brought back to earth when they both complained that the house was too cold!

1 comment: