Sunday, July 13, 2014

Basal Protection Measures

It was supposed to be an extremely low key Saturday superimposed on some of the best New England summer weather. There was a gentle breeze blowing which mitigated any heat trying unsuccessfully to become oppressive.  My wife had some coupons at a local plant nursery that were burning a hole in her pocket book.  She earned them for her (our) very generous spring patronage.
Travelling Buddy Yesterday
She even offered Buddy the opportunity to accompany us to the nursery (as long as it was in my car).  Buddy reveled in the opportunity to hang out the window for an extended trip away from home.  He administered a through nasal investigation of the entire countryside as we passed.  He even, somewhat haughtily, ignored a squirrel that tried to lure him out the window.
We spent nearly an hour scouring the nursery for another plant, because we can apparently never have enough of the green in our house.  She finally reluctantly made a decision on a plant that was exactly the price of the coupons she had.  She was dismayed to learn the coupons were only good for half of the cost.  She promptly declined the purchase and ripped up the coupons as she left (she’s not to be trifled with).
My Wife Perusing Her Choices
I was supposed to mow the lawn but my wife inserted herself into that decision cycle.  She noticed a small mark on my arm and based on my basal carcinoma adventures was adamantly against mowing the lawn in such direct sunlight.  I told her that mowing the lawn at night would probably upset the neighbors.  She finally relented when I showed up in full protection mode with a long sleeved shirt, pants, gloves, and channeling my inner Lawrence of Arabia with a t-shirt improvised keffiyeh.  Buddy was a little intimidated by my attire and I’m sure the neighbors were wondering but the small Panamanian was content.

Full Basal Protection Gear
It turned out that I could have mowed the lawn last night because night never truly showed up with what has been described as a “Super Moon”.  I’m not sure that that means except that it was really bright and so bright out here in the sticks that it was more twilight than night, kind of cool to cast a shadow at 10:30pm.
A Super Moon

No comments:

Post a Comment