Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Soccer Fails Amongst Finales

Shit
Good day at work yesterday where I finished off a huge project dumped in my lap last week.  My excellent boss also took me and the picnic crew out for lunch to thank us for our efforts over the weekend.  The picnic was a bigger hit than I thought with the political boss even bragging about it to the newspapers.  I’m glad they didn’t get any photos of me in the dunk tank.

Since I was without a date last night and it supposed to rain later today I postponed date night to tonight and was back painting the back deck trim.  There’s something almost hypnotic about simple labor like this that assists significantly in killing time. 
Huge Crowds Like This For Soccer Was New This Time
Maybe We really Do Have a Future
I did play hooky from my assigned tasks long enough to catch the second half of the USA’s fall at the world cup.  It’s kind of disconcerting to be a serious underdog to Belgium but it was patently obvious they had the much better team (apologies to my beautiful friend now residing there).  I guess the US does produce world class goalies though and Howard kept us in the match into extra time when the Belgian onslaught (who knew they were capable of onslaughting?) paid off with two goals.  I don’t know much about soccer but I knew two goals were immense and I expected the team to fold.  Instead they put up a spirited attack including a beautiful goal and some heartbreaking near misses.  It kind of makes me wonder why they hadn’t tried to be more aggressive earlier.  That seems to be more in keeping with American character.  Even with Obama we’re still a pretty aggressive lot. I, again, know absolutely nothing about soccer strategy, so ‘nuff said.  It was fun while it lasted.
Bye Hank

Later in the evening with the faithful (and less fragrant) wonder pooch at my side I began the task of clearing out the DVR slate.  I watched the series finale of Californication which went out with a whimper.  Hank Moody was a seriously funny character for most of the series but only as a force of chaos.  It was sad to see him head into the unknown but it was time.  The other finale was the end of season for Penny Dreadful which was wildly entertaining for its short run.  You got all the classic monsters (Dracula, Frankenstein, wolfman, etc, etc), put them in Victorian London and let the fun begin.  There were a lot of shocking twists along the way and I want to go on record that I would be scared to death to meet Eva Green in a dark alley.  She is one spooky lady.
Hartnett is Braver Than I

No comments:

Post a Comment