Monday, July 7, 2014

Quality in Life

I returned from my two days of playing hooky in Keene moving a little slower than usual.  I’m guessing it had something to do with the amount of adult beverages sacrificed in the pursuit of happiness celebrating our nation’s birthday, but I digress.  I pulled a trick out of my Keene Friend’s own playbook and departed Keene before he ever woke up; something he does to us whenever he comes to visit.

Buddy was a little punch drunk from a night dealing with fireworks but I beat all the traffic and was home in less than an hour and a half.  I finally drove a stake into the cold heart of the back deck trim painting project.  The last step was going back and painting over all the places I had accidently painted or dripped spots of wrong color paint.  It’s fairly safe to say that I did not miss my calling in life by not becoming a professional painter; but it is finally done! (at least until the imminent spousal inspection)
Done - It's Much Bigger Than it Looks
Especially if You're Painting It!
After exploring the duties of what would have been another failed career choice –cooking (I could literally burn a garden salad) I spent some time watching the latest Red Sox debacle.  I was saved from focusing on their failures by a phone call from one of my fraternity brothers.  He was calling to say he couldn’t make my son’s wedding, which was a bummer, but we ended up talking for the better part of a half hour (something of a record for phone phobic yours truly). 
When we met in college there was an instant connection and he was going to be the best man at my first wedding.  While the wedding never happened we’ve stayed in touch over the years and that connection is always there.  I have to admit I’ve done a piss poor job of staying in touch.  This past weekend demonstrated how important friends are to my continuing and somewhat fragile sanity.  One of the reasons I moved back to New England was to reconnect with friends whom the military career was not especially gracious in granting time to.  If I’m perfectly honest (but who wants to do that!) I’ve got to do better and promised myself that I would.  It just felt good after spending time catching up with my college wing man.  It’s the kind of feeling a contented life is built upon.

My wife continued to revel in her Virginia musqetera reunion and when we talked I could barely hear her over the cacophony of voices that always takes place when these three are in the same room.  She castigated me for doing too much work and said if I allowed her to do more I wouldn’t be so tired.  She always makes sense from a distance.  I’m glad she’s had this time with her dearest of friends but I get her back tomorrow!  Some more pics from her winery tour:



No comments:

Post a Comment