Friday, August 1, 2014

House Cleaned

We’re still in the run up for a series of house guests which means my wife has entered what I carefully refer to as “the zone”.  She always keeps the house immaculate, despite my concerted efforts to compromise the pristine state she prefers.  However if we are expecting guests she takes it to an entirely new level, to the point surgery could probably be safely performed on the kitchen floor.  I have to be careful making that statement around her or scalpels would appear for a craniectomtomy. 

I was not, therefore, surprised when she said we needed to clean the house yesterday.  When I assumed my normal vacant expression at the statement she went on to explain she literally meant cleaning the house.  We had the power washer fixed a few weeks ago and she wanted to unleash me on the unsuspecting flora and fauna that had taken up residence on the siding covered the house. 
As with most men, I love using the power washer.  It’s just cool.  I can’t explain it, just one of those testosterone things about sweeping a jet blast of water over the environment and strictly as a side benefit, cleaning said environment as well.  I was happily blasting away when she returned from an errand to find me balancing precariously on a ladder trying to reach the upstairs windows.  I have a spotty history with ladders (some other day I’ll tell you about my fall from the apex of my sister’s house) so she came running across the lawn to secure the ladder (probably a good thing in retrospect).

New Sox
I wasn’t the only one cleaning house yesterday as the trade I wrote about then was only the beginning of a day unseen in Red Sox history as an additional three trades were made getting rid of Lackey, Miller, and Drew (can I get a Hallelujah for that last one!).  I will continue my yearlong prohibition against criticizing my beloved Sox based on their heroics of last October.

I like this, especially for the Drew riddance.  One of the sports writers cattily stated that Drew probably struck out three times on his way to the Yankees club house.  The season definitely went south when he was brought back.  In the pre-2004 Sox the management would have held on to overpriced stars because the fans were attached to them.  This is a different, more cut throat front office which, while painful at times (Nomar, Lester, et al) you can’t argue with the success.  I wish my dad had been around to see this last ten years.

No comments:

Post a Comment