Thursday, August 14, 2014

PanaGals Attack the Big Apple – Day 1

PanaGals Packed into Car - You Can't Even See my Sister in Law in the Way Back
You Could Certainly Hear Her Though
Hey, I know this is a late blog but I was not going to be lugging a computer around New York City while trying to keep up with the PanaGals.  It’s around 9 p.m. and we just pulled into the house so I’ll write about our deployment yesterday tonight and follow up with another post on today’s adventures tomorrow morning.
Leading the PanaGals to the Train
We woke up yesterday to a driving rain storm that was supposed to clear NYC around noon time.  We adjusted our departure time and in a huge surprise all the PanaGals were up early and sharpening their shopping knives.  I gave a fleeting thought of driving to the city but when we crammed all the Gals and their attendant travelling support package into the car I returned to a sane plan.  It really sucked to be the way back seat so I volunteered my favorite sister in law for that position.
On the Train in the New Rail Cars
I dropped every one of in front of the train station and then went in search of the most elusive prey in New Haven – a parking spot.  When I rejoined the PanaGals they had secured lunch and we were shortly on the train headed for the Big Apple.  All the MTA trains have brand new train cars so the trip was more pleasant than I remembered.
The PanaGals Enjoying Grand Central While I Get My Vacuum Affixed
We arrived in Grand Central Station and so began my onerous task of keeping a group of six very active Latin ladies moving in the same direction and not falling victim to the lure of window shopping.  Before leaving my NYC arrival point I had the standard vacuum cleaner attached to my wallet.  I can’t wait for the point in time they can figure out how to charge you for breathing the air.  My daughter texted me the correct subway for Times Square where our hotel was located and we were off.  We got there just fine and that’s when my wife decided to employ her legendary navigational skills. 
NYC Subways - So Many Exotic Sights and Smells
I’d checked out a map before leaving so I knew the general location of the hotel.  Since she’d achieved some moderate success the day before, navigating her way back (and finally trusting the GPS) from Maine she felt she was now qualified to guide the group.  She found the hotel with her I-phone and asked for walking directions.  She then thrust that into my hands and demanded I follow it.  Those of you who know me can probably guess how that direction went down.
During the Trek
We started out on what was supposed to be a three minute walk.  The walking directions kept taking me away from where I knew the hotel was.  Twenty minutes later I gave her the phone back and told her I would find it on my own.  She kept chirping over my shoulder that I should follow the directions right up to the point I walked by our hotel.  Only in New York City could you walk by a thirty-two floor hotel without noticing it right away but it looked like a store front until you looked up to see the sign (no one ever looks up). 
Loose in the Big Apple
I semi-politely told the very nice front desk lady that google maps was totally screwed up with her hotel’s location.  She somewhat blithely told me that she got that a lot.  There are two Hampton Inns-Times Square.  My wife’s I-Phone had selected the other one.  I even more blithely told her that was something they might want to mention on their web site before someone better armed than I was at that point hosed down the entire hotel staff.
Wing Man and Daughter at the Brewery
Our trek around the Times Square environment (not for the meek of heart during the height of tourist season) had taken us right up to the point my daughter got out of work so she joined us to guide us to the nearby Beer Authority (I really needed a beer at this point).  We first checked on theater tickets but the PanaGals obviously thought their money would be better invested on shopping than anything thespian related.
So Glad to Have Another Y -Chromosome in the Mix
The Rest of the Table

The Beer Authority
I blessedly relinquished my role as the sole male present when the Wing Man braved the tourist melee outside to join us in the brewery.  A very fun dinner ensued as Wing Man ushered me through a series of exotic (to me) beers.  My son would have proud of me if he wasn’t enjoying the hell out of Hawaii with his new bride.
Meanwhile - in Hawaii
After too few beers my daughter took us on a walking tour of lower Manhattan including a fantastic walk along the High Line; a former elevated railroad converted to a walking path with a garden on both sides.  It was cool to walk through New York above the bustle of the street traffic and enjoying the sights.  It was a special time.  

Daughter and PanaGals on the High Line

Very Cool Combination of Very Old Apartment Building with Brand New High Rise
Behind Daughter as Seen from High Line

The Center of Vestigial Communism in America

The New Yorker - but No Visible Cartoons

I Started Getting Artistic - The Hudson River Seen Between Two Buildings From High Line
We taxied back to the hotel where there just happened to be an Irish Bar located right next door.  Nature took its course we were shortly seated around a table reliving some of the fun times over the past weekend while the PanaGals performed last rites on a series of mojitos.
Daughter, Wing Man and PanaGals in Irish Pub
The Wife Admiring My Signature Shit Eating Grin Pose in the Irish Pub
My wife, sister in law, and I walked Wing Man and daughter back to their subway and then continued on into Times Square just as the theaters were letting out.  Times Square needs to be seen at night to appreciate the gratuitous use of neon lighting.  It was fun despite the crowds or maybe because of them.  I’d had second thoughts about joining this trip (especially during the walk to the hotel!) but the evening from the point my daughter joined us transformed the experience.  That’s what she does.

Two Beautiful Ladies in Late Night Times Square

And Again

No comments:

Post a Comment