Monday, August 11, 2014

Decompression

Daughter and Wing Man With Some Needed Coffee
The best weekend ever 2 finished with a quiet day as everybody reflected on the past Saturday of joy and celebration.  The refugees from our late night hotel parties blearily made their way down to the lobby for the scheduled evacuation.  While there were plenty of red eyes there was also a feeling we had witnessed something special on Saturday.  I was in cat herding mode trying to get my assembly of Panamanian women packed, checked out, and into the two cars; coffee helped.
Son and His Bride - The Day After

The Day After Brunch

Daughters and Son
We stopped off at the new bride’s parents’ house for an informal brunch for the immediate families where we encountered some more bleary eyes.  My son and his wife were there and still graciously accepting all the good wishes flowing their way.  I encountered that feeling again, that we had shared something truly special on Saturday and did not want to let go of the experience.  Time’s onward march can be so cruel.
Departure Picture on the Front Lawn
Reluctantly we finally had to declare victory and head our separate ways but again, with that sense of something well done under our belts.  My wife and the PanaGals were traveling to Maine to visit the Maine Musquetera.  For some reason the first stop entered into their GPS was a TJ Maxx store nearby. I was taking my daughter and Wing Man south with me to home base.  They have to return to NYC this morning.
Dinner at Chucks
We got back in time to make into Couch Potato posture before the accumulated effects of the Saturday night manifested themselves.  We semi-watched a Red Sox game at various levels of consciousness while inspecting the undersides of our eyelids repeatedly.  We received a report that the PanaGals had reached their Waterville, Maine destination but the Maine Musquetera had been distracted by shopping enroute home so they were on their own – I’m sure shopping was involved there also.
Wing Man and I Questioning a Sign at Chuck's Entrance
My daughter, Wing Man, and I went out to Chuck’s for dinner and then into Worcester to see the movie Chef.  It’s a small movie that was thoroughly enjoyable with a huge cast.  It was a Jon Favereau passion project that he wrote, directed, and starred in.  I’d do the same if I could get paired up with both Scarlett Johansson and Sofia Vergara in the same movie.  Favereau plays a chef who re-discovers his joy of cooking along with reconnecting with his son when he loses his job and buys a street vendor van.  There weren’t any dramatic twists, just an interesting story arc, well-acted and again, thoroughly enjoyable.

We heard from the Cantankerous Friend who claims his late night car alarm was a result of a falling GPS device.  While those who know him (and saw him of Saturday night) we took this report with the normal grain of salt.  Apparently everybody survived as we saw reports of reaching home base from a number of quarters.  As predicted, even a double hurricane was no match for the karma of the newlyweds and they are in the air as I write this towards Hawaii for some much needed decompressing time.  They leave the rest of us basking in the reflected glow of their all too perfect wedding celebration.  I’ve included some more photos from Saturday because as you can surmise by now – I don’t want to let it go.
Son and Groomsmen on the Trolley

Hotel After Party Cousin Lifting My Wife

Wife, Cousin With Brother in Law Sitting Behind

Wife Still Objecting to Cousin Lift, I'm on Left

Wing Man and Daughter

Two Very Lucky Men

A Gathering of Eagles, from left Cantankerous Friend, Keene Friend, College Roommate
and College Roommate's wife

Newlyweds on the Trolley

Epic Mother Son Dance

My Two "Kids"

Son Trying to Look Nonchalant Pre-Ceremony

Less so Afterwards

The Two Mrs. on the Dance Floor

Trolley Time

Parents of the Groom Basking and So Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment