Saturday, August 9, 2014

T-Minus 1: Great Start With Late Arriving Cup Cakes

The Cat Move
My feline husbandry tactics were on full display yesterday as I herded the PanaGals, et al, north into New Hampshire for the start of my son’s wedding weekend.  We stopped first at the MEF’s parents house to set up for the rehearsal dinner which was our responsibility.  All the PanaGals dove in to assist and after some furniture moving and table setting up the males were relegated to watching the ladies transform the house into a five star restaurant.
MEF With Her Bridesmaids
While moving the furniture the MEF’s cat took exception to his playground’s move.  He staged a sit down strike on top while I was moving it down to the basement.  More than a little nervous moving something downstairs with a pissed off cat inches from my face but these type adventures are what makes a full life  Everything was set up as we waited for the final piece which was the dessert, gourmet cupcakes supplied by the Maine musquetera.  She makes great pastries and is completely incapable of arriving on time anywhere.  Everyone was nervous about this weak link in our execution schedule and it turned out to be as bad as feared.  She got lost three times and eventually I (with my vast knowledge of the Hudson, NH environs) talked her in the last two miles.  Fortunately the quality of her friendship and the taste of her cupcakes mitigates against getting truly angry with her.
Son and His Groomsmen
The cupcake waiting period robbed us of the planned down time resting in the hotel, the Crowne Plaza in Nashua.  We dashed there with some GPS mis-direction, checked in, and changed in time to get back into the car for the rehearsal.  We did run into my college roommate and the Keene Friend in the lobby and established plans for a post-rehearsal rendezvous.
The Rehearsal with the Group Offering Advice to son and MEF

The Mothers of Couple

My Daughter Practicing her Bridesmaid Entrance

My Son Appreciating His Sister's Technique
The rehearsal went longer than planned as the priest was into the sound of his own voice and wit.  He did have us go through something pretty cool though when he asked the entire group to  individually offer advice to my son and the MEF.  My wife was panicking when her time was approaching but I told her to just speak from her heart and she delivered the best comments of the evening.  She said she had prayed long and hard that our son would find a woman who understood and appreciated him and that her prayers were answered when he found the MEF.
We then adjourned to the rehearsal dinner which went off without a hitch.  The caterers were already on site and the food was more than delicious.  I thought we’d bought too much beer but then my son’s groomsmen disabused me of that thought with a devastating attack on our reserves.  It was a great night of camaraderie surrounded by the special people in my son and the MEF’s lives.  The biggest surprise came at the end as they were handing out gifts to their bridesmaids and groomsmen.  They finished by giving an all expense paid cruise to Bermuda to the MEF’s parents and my wife and I.  We’re all going together next May.  Have I told you how impossibly cool these two are?

The Rehearsal Dinner

My Daughter, Son, and The MEF Making Speeches

My Wife's Reaction To the Bermuda Trip

The Parents and the Soon to be Wedded Couple Showing Off Our Gifts
After a quick cleanup we ended up back in the hotel bar where we found my brother in law, sister, and college roommate surrounded by the PanaGals.  They had linked up at some point in the night and were well on their way to completely dominating the room.  We fell in on the festivities and may have set a new record for the amount of laughter.  Each new wedding guest that arrived was greeted with a large cheer that had the other bar patrons wondering what they had wandered into.  My son and Wing Man emerged from a self-imposed cloud of cigar smoke to join the fun as we also marked my daughter’s and Wing Man’s fifth wedding anniversary.  They have lost none of the ability to bring a crowd together and deliver a fantastic evening of fun.  If yesterday was any indication, I would say, with no overstating whatsoever, that the Best Weekend Ever (daughter’s wedding 5 years ago) may have some competition brewing.
My Brother in Law Surrounded by his Harem of PanaGals as We Found him in Hotel Bar
Wing Man, Son and Keene Friend in the Bar

No comments:

Post a Comment