Sunday, August 31, 2014

Poolside in Rhode Island

A fairly quiet day yesterday (at least for the first part) as we waited for the driveway to dry, something that may stretch into Tuesday at this rate.  We were gearing up for a trip down to Rhode Island to celebrate the May birthday of my brother in law.  That statement tells you all you need to know about the strict adherence to timeliness of my sister and her fabulous in laws.  The Keene Friend also showed up to join us for the rest of the weekend.
Wing Man's Creation
Wing Man spent the day creating a draft board for today’s fantasy football draft.  The “kids” have convinced us older fans that we are missing out on some serious fun by not participating in this burgeoning enterprise.  My son has formed a family league and we’re hosting the draft today.  The BFA and her parents, the keen Friend as well as my sister/brother in law will also participate so this should be fun if for no other reason than we get to hang out together again today. Wing Man takes part in no less than six different leagues so he’s kind of a ringer in our fledging enterprise.  I am fully prepared to be seriously “schooled”.
Buddy and his Date Last Night
My daughter’s NYC friend was feeling a little under the weather so she stayed home while we went to Rhode Island.  Buddy was left to entertain her or vice versa.  My daughter received an innocent text from her asking “Was Buddy fed or is he always hungry?”  That pretty much sums up the Buddy experience.  She was also treated to his storm response when the town set off some fireworks.  It’s never boring around this canine.
Start of the Party, from left, My Wife, Me, Brother in Law, His Sister, His Niece
Keene Friend in the Foreground
It was a brisk late summer eve as we set up shop poolside on my sister’s back deck.  My brother in law and I employed some tactical acumen by establishing ourselves in seats that were blocked at either end of the table which meant someone else had to get up to replenish our drinks.  This was not our first rodeo.  Wing Man earned his appellation.
The Siblings
It was good to see my brother in law’s brother who recently underwent some major surgery which prevented him from attending my son’s wedding.  He’s on the mend and the best indication was his joining the signature sport at one of these gatherings which is torturing his sister; she of the arcane ability to ruin Red Sox seasons.  She was seated next to the Cantankerous Friend at the wedding and firmly established her reputation for a complete lack of judgment by stating he was a wonderful dinner companion.  The entire deck erupted in sustained laughter at this statement (they all know him).
The Viking Helmet!
We steered her away from any sports discussion and discoursed on the imminent demise of one of her idols – Joan Rivers.  She was monitoring the tweets from Rivers’ daughter throughout the night.  I tried to assure her that until someone showed up with a wooden stake and holy water that she didn’t have anything to worry about.  She lodged a protest concerning the BFA’s nick name on this blog.  She felt it was not cool enough for such a fine young lady.  I assured her that the BFA was happy with her name almost as much as her husband (my son) resented it (so, win/win).
The Last of the Beer Disappears
I don’t think we stopped laughing for the entire night as my sister pelted us with wave after wave of food.  A Viking helmet appeared at some point and no one fell into the pool which I considered a victory.  I thought we brought way too much beer with us but these gatherings have a way of putting lies to such beliefs.  An all too much fun evening as we remembered the gallant Miss Louise on her birthday and enjoyed the close family which is her true legacy to the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment