Tuesday, August 5, 2014

T-Minus 5: Impending Dawn

Everyone seemed to take a collective breath yesterday, well, everyone except my wife.  After working overtime and fretting non-stop about getting the house ready for our Sunday visitors she immediately launched into getting everything prepared for the arrival (today) of our daughter and the return of the Pana-Gals!  I had a busy day at work as I’m trying to tie up loose ends before tomorrow’s start of a ten day vacation.  She was simultaneously cleaning while preparing a week’s worth of meals for the full house.  I was a little gassed when I got home but came under withering fire from the wife’s expressive eyes when I dared to ensconce myself in Couch Potato Position #1 when she felt there was still work to be done. 

I’m looking forward to the arrival of the house guests if for no other reason than to distract attention from me and my apparently slothful ways.  I did enjoy watching a weird Korean horror movie with my son (it’s how we roll).  He was then summoned to mother-son dance rehearsals (I seriously question where she gets all the energy).  I returned to the wife’s good graces when I volunteered to make the drive through Connecticut today to retrieve the daughter.  She was stressing about having to make the driver herself – a small price to pay for a little couch time (he said before entering the traffic wasteland of the Nutmeg State).
Dance Class Last Night
I took a break from my long line of thrillers by delving back into science fiction and yesterday finished the latest book by one of my favorite authors John Ringo.  The Islands of Rage and Hope is the third book in his Black Tide series about a zombie like apocalypse and the struggling remnants of humanity to survive.  This book continues the story of Wolf Squadron which is trying to rescue the handful of survivors with two precocious daughters of the commander who have become adept zombie killers.

I don’t think there’s a better author around when it comes to describing close quarter combat; something I first noted in his legendary Legacy of the Aldenata series.  The thirteen year old daughter who now leads a marine platoon approaches almost cartoon like status but Ringo injects just enough humor and “reality” to keep the read fascinating.   Ringo includes a thoughtful assessment of what the world would be like if 99% of the people turned into raving cannibals along with his unmatched close quarter combat scenes.  As with all of my favorite authors I charged through this remorselessly and now have to wait for the next in the series with bated breath.  At least Ringo is incredibly prolific so I shouldn’t have long to wait (George RR should take notes on this).   

No comments:

Post a Comment