Monday, August 4, 2014

T-Minus 6: Panama North

Yesterday we played host to not one but two sets of visiting Panamanians.  My wife’s first boss and close friend was visiting some family in Boston so she and her daughter along with son in law and grandson came to Charlton to spend the day.  The young guy was immediately smitten with Buddy who was not inclined to return the love since the little guy was not generously equipped with snacks.
The Gang in Newport
We took them on a day trip down to Newport, Rhode Island.  Thankfully the weather was rainy along the coast so the usual throngs of weekend drivers were not there to make the trip unpleasant although Newport itself was hosting a jazz fest so it boasted more than its usual share of hipsters.  We toured the mansions and then engaged in the signature sport of a visit to Newport – finding a parking space.  I eventually dropped off the rest of them while I wandered the back streets and alleys.  I eventually found an on street parking spot almost in the same zip code.
My Wife and Her First Boss/Very Good Friend
My sore feet were immediately assuaged when I learned they had taken up residence in my favorite Newport Irish Bar, Buskers.  My wife introduced them to the joys of New England clam chowder on the rainy, dreary, and for them, cold, day.  After a short shopping expedition (if that is even possible) I journeyed back to see if I could retrace my steps and locate the distant automobile. 
Buskers is Always a Good Time
We traveled north back into the sunshine while alerting my son to fire up the grill.  He had the steaks just about perfect when we arrived (he really is a savant at grilling).  The second set of Panamanians arrived shortly thereafter and we all sat down for a truly fun dinner.  Buddy was sentenced to the basement due to his protests about not being included in the guest seating.
The second set was a childhood friend of my wife’s who was also fortunate enough to marry a gringo Soldier; albeit a logistician.  He recently retired and they were driving up the East Coast and were touring the Concord/Lexington battlefields as well as Plymouth Plantation.  They stayed overnight and while we had to bid adieu to the first set shortly after dinner my wife was able to continue her day long, non-stop conversations well into the wee hours.  The retired Army guy and I shared stories of our mutual experience serving under General Leuer in Panama (not for the meek of heart). 

Out on the Back Deck with the Second Set as the Sun Sets
A hectic day but I know my wife was more than pleased to reconnect with some old friends which is truly one of life’s greatest pleasures.  I was just glad to be along for the ride; Buddy less so.

No comments:

Post a Comment