Friday, August 8, 2014

T-Minus 2: 1000 – Best Weekend 2?

So Good Having Both Kids Back - Feel Like a Parent Again
It is kind of appropriate that today marks the 1000th post I’ve made on this blog.  It’s an auspicious day on a number of levels.  It marks the 5th anniversary of my daughter’s wedding to Wing Man.  My daughter was the inspiration for me to start this damned blog and it’s become something of an obsession, almost therapeutic.  I’ll never be the writer that she is but she’s definitely the one who got me started and provided the much needed technical advice along the way; so blame her if you inflict this blog on yourself with any regularity.
My Son Gets Some Needed Advice From his PanaGal Aunt on the Finer Points of Kielbasa Cooking 
Five years ago also marked what’s known around the house as the best weekend ever when friends and family gathered to witness the wedding.  The thousands of myriad details just seem to flow into place and we were able to enjoy the time as much we hoped which was a tall order.  It is very cool that we are in the process of the same type gathering as I write this to mark her brother’s attempt to match that sublime time when he finally marries the MEF tomorrow.  If nothing else I raised these kids to be expert at picking their mates.  We head out shortly to start what I’m sure will join the best weekend ever in the annals of family history.
Impossibly this Was Five Years Ago Today
Yesterday saw my wife and her gang of PanaGals descending on the hairdressers and malls of Worcester.  No prisoners were taken.  There was a frenzied mid-day departure to make appointment times and an eerie silence fell over the heretofore rambunctious house; we could tell they were gone.  My kids, Wing Man and I went to the movies while the Worcester depredations were underway.  I saw Guardians again because it’s just that good; an opinion shared now with Wing Man and daughter who saw it for the first time.
The Movie Gang
We had a reservation at Zorba’s for all ten of us but the Worcester raid ran longer than expected (not unexpectedly since a mall was involved).  The gringos were called upon to secure the table as the PanaGals finally separated themselves from the clutches of TJ Maxx and joined us for a rambunctious night of drinks and pizza.  We ended the night with ice cream in honor of the absent MEF, spending her last days of single lady status with her own family.

Zorba's May Never be the Same
My daughter finally got me to see the movie she’s been obsessed with for the last few weeks, Snowpiercer.  We did the ole “On Demand” viewing since the Weinsteins have refused a wide release as the director wouldn’t make the cuts they wanted.  It’s a really good adventure yarn with a top notch cast including Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton, and John Hurt.  The remnants of humanity are trapped on a never ending train moving around a frozen earth.  There’s the inevitable clash between the haves and the have nots led by Evans.  Some great twists along the way as the good guys are whittled down for the final confrontation.  This could have been a blockbuster if it had been widely released, great flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment