Sunday, September 15, 2013

Way Back to Buddy Return

He's Back!!!!
The house became significantly less lonely yesterday morning when Buddy the Wonder Pooch returned from his Rhode Island sojourn with all the attendant pomp and circumstance.  I jumped in the car early to go get him because I was very sick of bouncing off the walls around here with no one to talk to. 

Buddy was appropriately psychotic when I arrived.  He was just getting up and his routine is to always go outside for relief.  He was so excited he refused to take care of business.  I even tried going outside with him but he was too keyed up about the prospect of a car ride so he just had to ranger his way through the hour long drive home.  
 
My brother in law invited me to come back down to Rhode Island for a playoff game between for the Sox’ triple A affiliate but I am so sick of traveling and still felt a little tired so I wimped out.  I cursed at myself all day long for not going but I just couldn’t see making two more drives after the way I felt after just the morning trip.

Buddy immediately scoured the yard to ensure his squirrel eradication efforts had not suffered in his absence.  He then proceeded to completely inspect the house, after achieving the long delayed release.
Checking up on the Cursed Squirrels
It was so funny later in the day when I was talking to my wife that he came charging into the room frantically looking around for her.  Apparently he heard the voice and wanted to ensure she knew he was back.  My wife was very touched.  I feel bad that she’s not around to see her flower gardens which are in their full late summer glory.  She’s spent so much time on them and to be away while they look so beautiful is a shame. 
Wife's Flower Garden
Since she’s away I was able to schedule a truly bizarre afternoon.  There was a movie playing only in Worcester that I really wanted to see but I also had to hit BJ’s for a meat resupply.  The meals my wife left in the freezer for me have depleted so I had to purchase more dead animal flesh.  In my mind it made sense to hit the store on the way to the movie.

I’ve heard it’s probably not a good idea to leave meat in a car for two hours, something to do with food poisoning.  I solved the problem by bringing a small cooler with some ice and then packing the meat in it while I went to the movie.  Problem solved; I’m very lucky she wasn’t around to see this but I’m fairly sure the meat is safe. 
The Movie Meat Locker
The movie I went to see was The Way, Way Back.  It’s a coming of age flick with a truly stellar cast.  I wanted to see it based on the previews and I was not disappointed.  I think they could have gone a different way with the arc but it still had some very funny, touching moments.   
It’s still weird to see Steve Carrell in an unsympathetic part.  Allison Janney has most of the best lines as a boozy neighbor but as has become his modus operandi, this movie belongs to Sam Rockwell even though he’s in a supporting role.  The guy just has screen presence and has evolved into one of our best actors.  He made the movie worth watching.  The movie brought back some memories as the title comes from the fold out seats in the very back of the old style station wagon which is what my sisters and I called those seats when we were growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment