Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Piper Paying

This is the problem with fabulous weekends and cherished times – they all eventually end.  The weather yesterday mirrored my mood exactly – dreary rain.
The Keene Friend was the first defector, pulling one of his patented early morning exits, much to the consternation of Buddy the Wonder Pooch who was expecting a goodbye walk.  Buddy’s tough day continued as he endured several more thunderstorms and spent most of the day heavily medicated.

The late rising New Yorkers gathered for one more breakfast as I handled the keto assignments while my wife produced a bumper crops of blueberry and chocolate chip pancakes.  It was so fun having the house full of people for the entire weekend and I loved the banter of the still awakening crew.  After breakfast we gathered in the family room for a photo and most of the New Yorkers loaded up the car to head south.  Riggins quickly assumed a supervisory position on the dashboard. 
The Gang - One Last Time
I had an entire afternoon with my daughter son in law and the last of the New Yorkers which I really cherished but I couldn’t escape the feeling of impending doom.  I knew I had to say goodbye to them shortly.  No fun.

After a dispiriting Red Sox loss, we loaded the car, said goodbye to a groggy Buddy and left for the dreaded holiday drive through the apocalyptic traffic that typifies Connecticut on a holiday weekend.  The “kids” first treated us to dinner at Cracker Barrel only a table away from where we breakfasted on Sunday.

Then came Connecticut which was almost eerie due to the lack of traffic.  I had been girding for a big fight and there was nothing.  No backups, everything was flowing smoothly, very un-Connecticut like.  This did nothing more than hasten the departure of two of my most favorite people so I guess Connecticut decided to torture me in a new way.  
Deepest Point in the Valley - Having to Say Goodbye
I found it really hard to say goodbye.  It must have been the pollen in the air because I couldn’t even watch them into the terminal in New Haven.  I didn’t want them to leave.

The drive back only compounded my fears that something really bad had happened somewhere.  Where were all the people?  I didn’t have to use any of my shortcuts and made almost record time back home, very strange.  Of course the house was empty when we got there.  Medicated Buddy didn’t even frolic when released from confinement – he’s good at sensing moods.

I reestablished control of my television for the first time since Friday but would gladly cede it back as long as some of the excellent people returned to distract me.  That’s the problem with peaks, the inevitable valley always comes.  We’re back to one bedroom, with three spares.

No comments:

Post a Comment