Saturday, September 21, 2013

Reunion Friday

I played hookie from work yesterday and drove up to Keene for the first day of my 40th high school reunion. That still scares me to say that.  Buddy accompanied me somewhat impatiently.  I got up to Keene in time to take my Keene Friend out to lunch before he had to leave for his ungodly work schedule.  I had a nostalgic moment standing in my friend's yard.  His home backs up to the elementary school I attended over 50 years ago (there I go scaring myself again).  There were kids running and playing much like I did in the same place I did all those years ago.
Looking Back 50 Years at my Elementary School Playground
I was left to my own devices for the rest of the day so I left in search of the Cantankerous One and after some exploring we ended up in a bar I had never been before, The Lab and Lager.  Buddy would approve.  In a typical small town moment one of our high school classmates showed up to repair the blinds in the front window.  We spent a great afternoon catching up and solving all the world's problems.  Near the end of our stay another high school buddy reported in.
The Lab and Lager
The Cantankerous One at the Lab and Lager
Anotehr High School Friend Shows Up to Repair Blinds
Cantankerous One ClaimsThis is Rare Evidence of this Guy Actually Working
He was my college roommate and had just finished up a golf game .  We talked him into the new bar and decided more beer was in order. I don't think I've had this much fun in a very long time.
Both the Buddies
The fun continued that evening as the Cantankerous One picked us up for a reunion themed dinner at another favorite haunt, The Elm City Brewery.  Our favorite bar tender was out from behind the bar and the evening sped by as more than thirty classmates wandered in and the talk and reminiscing was non-stop. We spent almost four hours there and I snuck up to the bar to see the Red Sox clinch the division title so this was about as much fun as I am capable of experiencing.
The Elm City Scene
We were all pretty well lubricated at this point when the most lubricated friend decided we needed to crash the party of another classmate on the edge of town.  My college roommate and I thought this was a bad idea and since we had no idea where the house was simply took some quick directions and said we would meet them there.  We made what we thought was a cursory effort and were about to call it a night when the lead car passed right in front of us.
More of the Great Crew
So we ended up at the party.  This was an all female group until our arrival and included some of the real beauties from our high school class.  It was another great time catching up with these lovely ladies.  We eventually declared victory and coasted back to the Keene Friend's abode.  It was so late at this point that we decided to wait up for his arrival, which took place shortly thereafter.  I think he was surprised we waited up for him but not at our state of semi-consciousness.  A lot of beer was sacrificed in that effort.  My head finally hit the pillow a little after 2:30am.  So.....much.....fun.
The Final Party

No comments:

Post a Comment