Monday, September 9, 2013

Nervous Afternoon

Well, if all goes right, my next blog posting will be from San Francisco.  I have to head out there for four days of bus inspecting, riveting stuff.  That meant a Sunday morning trip down to Rhode Island where Buddy will spend some time with his cousin Bailey.  It’s so cool that he feels so at home down there.  He doesn’t even panic when I leave anymore.  My nephew got up to welcome Buddy who was soon inspecting the backyard with hardly a notice when I left.
My Nephew with Buddy and Bailey
The real NFL season started yesterday with the Patriots first game.  They were playing in Buffalo and I was a little nervous with all the changes the Pats have gone through facing a remade Bills team.  That nervousness would grow exponentially throughout the afternoon.

The New NFL Snack
I couldn’t go with my normal NFL staple of a huge bowl of popcorn for the first time.  The grill was pressed into service for a keto friendly snack of hamburgers and beef strips.  That dog will definitely hunt.  I was firmly ensconced in my couch potato post with my newly laundered, bright yellow lounge pants for kickoff.  That was the last time I was comfortable all afternoon.

The Patriots squandered an early lead and were definitely in danger of losing the game, trailing well into the fourth quarter.  They were helped by the Bills who made their typical bone head plays to help out but the Pats were matching them bone head for bone head.  The biggest upgrade for the Pats was supposed to be a pass rush but that was non-existent.  Brady finally decided to be Brady and lead them a late field goal and a nail biting win. 
Scary Game
At the end of the game I was switching between the Red Sox and Patriots games as they were both finishing at the same time.  The great Mariano Rivera blew another save but the Yanks finally had some luck in the bottom of the 9th.  They survive with a little bit of dignity for the weekend. 

My wife provided the daily update from Panama.  She’s on duty tonight.  Hospitalization in Panama, at least in the public hospital, is starkly different from the USA.  Families have to bring the patients their meals and there are hardly any nurses so a family member is expected to spend the night in the hospital each night with the patient.  Like I said, very different.

Packing for the trip is a bit of an adventure.  I’m hoping to get my electric lounge pants through the baggage check but that could be a bit much to ask of the homeland security boys.  These things look like they’re already on fire. 

Note to self – I do not like getting up at 4 am to catch a 4:30 limo ride.  Wait a minute, I’m complaining about a limo ride?   

No comments:

Post a Comment