Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Deep in the Valley

I didn’t think I could get any lower yesterday, still mourning the passing of an all too excellent weekend.  Then life, as it has a habit of doing, decided to demonstrate the valley was even deeper than expected and lowered the boom.

I took a phone call from my wife who was sobbing uncontrollably.  Her father down in Panama was diagnosed with a very serious intestinal cancer.  She was clearly losing it by being so far away.  I’m putting her on a plane to Panama tomorrow for at least a month and maybe more.  Her father is in his mid-eighties and will be undergoing some major surgery maybe as early as today.  My wife’s panic is partly due to the socialized medicine Panama is blessed with and the somewhat less than top notch care. 

My Father in Law (last year) Surrounded by Family 
I’m going to miss her more than I can tell her but I completely understand her need to be near her family in this situation.  One of the biggest regrets in my own life is not being nearer to my own mother during her last days.  I was in my last military assignment at the Pentagon and missed being back in New England by only two years when she passed. 

My wife calmed down quickly when she realized she was gong to be back in time to see her father again.  She took calls from friends and family all day and into the night.  Two calls from our son and daughter did the most to help her through the evening.  I’m hoping she’s only gone a month but if that is the case it will probably mean bad news for her father.  This is one of the times you support family.  Please take a moment to say a few prayers for a tough old guy down in Panama who is waging the fight of his life right now.

I took ownership of my newest toy yesterday when I picked up my new snow blower from my arch enemy Sears.  It almost didn’t fit into the car but with some creative maneuvering I was able to get it in.  There was a scary moment when it rolled during the trip and almost shattered the back window.  That would have been hard to explain even with the savings from the exorbitant delivery charge.  For that one time yesterday my luck held.  I just dumped it into the garage because I was needed upstairs, there'll be plenty of time to put it together in the coming weeks.  I’m going to get the puzzle table set back up tomorrow.  
Newest Toy Awaiting In processing

No comments:

Post a Comment