Monday, September 16, 2013

Insidious Loss of Afternoon

Yesterday was about as beautiful a day as I could hope for. We’re rapidly approaching my favorite time of year – autumn in New England.  It was a crisp day filled with a gentle breeze and abundant sunshine.  The perfect day to spend outside, the kind of day I dream about throughout the year.  So why was I confined to the couch – the NFL Red Zone! 
Awesomeness Personified
My Keene Friend journeyed down to partake of this conspicuous consumption of the National Football League.  Since the Patriots were not playing we just stayed tuned to the Red Zone all afternoon and it was mesmerizing.  Every game, every touchdown and a new thrill appearing seemingly every two minutes.  It reached a crescendo around 4pm when all the early games were finishing and there were several amazing endings.  It was semi-exhausting, all right it wasn’t tiring, but it was a lot of fun. 
The Grill - Six Steaks, Three Burgers
Prior to Keene Friend’s arrival I decided to make my lunches for approximately the next three weeks by searing all the dead animal flesh I purchased on my Saturday movie odyssey. I was a little proud of myself for simultaneously preparing six steaks, three cheeseburgers (one has to have lunch), 2 dozen chicken thighs, and two packages of meat strips (all right those were a snack).  Buddy was in seventh heaven picking up low hanging tidbits.  
The Overall Haul - Minus the Burgers (they met their fate prior to picture)
We finished off the day with a trip to the theater to see Insidious Chapter 2.  The first movie scared the living bejesus out of me and there was no way I was going to see the sequel without company.  I felt a little silly when the neighbor’s thirteen year old daughter sauntered in blissfully looking more confident than I felt. 
We were surrounded by teenaged girls which is not a good way to see a horror movie (think shattered ear drums).  We were spared that fate because this movie was no where near as scary as the first one.  It picked up the story line immediately after the end of the first but there was no red faced demon in this one which made all the difference.  This was more of a straight ghost story which had its terrifying moments but not the tension of the original.  Maybe I was just trying to be brave in front of all those teenagers.  No problem sleeping last night, not the case after the first one.   
This Guy Was Missing (and my sleep patterns thank you)
I had a nice talk with the spousal unit down in Panama in which I was roundly counseled for my blogged description of our Thursday night phone conversation.  It was so good hearing her voice that I took the counseling in stride.  Her father is progressing and hopefully will be allowed some actual food for the first time in over a week tomorrow.  I’m happy she’s down there to support her family but I miss her.  A lot. 

1 comment:

  1. Dad, scrolling and seeing that picture will now give me nightmares tonight!!! THANKS!

    The RedZone is so great, here's my favorite football columnist writing about it a couple of weeks ago, thought you'd appreciate:

    "Red Zone will ruin you for regular football because it makes it seem like every other game is much more exciting than the one you've forced yourself to watch. This is a lie, of course. RZC only uses the good bits. But it makes you feel like you're missing out on all the fun when you aren't watching it. Like I said before, I know more than a few kids whose favorite team is Red Zone Channel. That will become standard across all NFL viewers in about a decade. You can't stop it. I eagerly await the day when the NFL releases a 32-team patchwork jersey with the word RED ZONE across the back. It will sell fifty million units."

    http://deadspin.com/your-worst-football-memories-are-your-most-important-on-1256916854

    ReplyDelete