Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Captive Emotionality

I’m getting worn down a little at work.  I feel like everyone wants to sit back and let someone else do their job for them.  I’m more than willing to fill a vacuum when someone is out but not when that person is sitting there collecting pay.  You may be able to denote a bit of frustration on my part, I think I need a vacation.

I assiduously maintained the tradition of date night last night even though I was without a date.  I went to see Prisoners which boasts a truly amazing cast.  The story involved the abduction of two young girls and their families’ response to the abduction.
It’s interesting to see what really fine actors can do with intense emotions.  That more than anything else stood out – just the raw pain of the characters pelted at the audience for well over two hours.  I thought Hugh Jackman as a working class red neck was a bit of a stretch but he carries it off.  Jake Gyllenhaal goes a little overboard, adding tattoos and some weird facial ticks, as the cop desperate to locate the kids. 

As with any good mystery, there are a lot of red herrings distributed but the ending brought it home well.  The bad guys were intensely creepy which helped when you saw them compared to the “good” guys.  There were not a lot of black and white morality lines which would have been easy to fall into.  An interesting movie that just pummels you with unrefined emotion; I felt a little drained afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment