Friday, September 6, 2013

Deployment Day

Yesterday dawned way too early, mainly because of the onerous task of taking the wife to the airport.  There are no direct flights between Boston and Panama which cuts the former day long travel odyssey down to a mere four hour flight.  This was her first chance to use this new service and it worked out admirably. 

I left the house at 6:30am which meant we had to pass through the meat of the Boston rush hour to reach Logan Airport.  I can’t believe people do this every single day as we sat in the parking lot formerly known at the Mass Turnpike.  It seemed like it took forever but the normal, traffic free 1.5 hour trip only took 2 hours so it was worse in my impatient mind than reality.  The flight leaves out of the international terminal which also helped speed up the process as it is much less crowded than the domestic ones.  It was so hard to let her go though, lot of dust in the air. 
Going, Going
Gone
She’s got me really trained though because when I heard the temperatures were going to drop into the high thirties last night (God must know its safe to do that now that my wife has gone south), I spent twenty minutes moving all of her tropical plants inside for the winter.  I also got to sleep with the windows open for the first time in a very long time since my temperature challenged sleeping partner was no longer preventing it.  I was exhausted by the end of the day but for some reason had a very hard time falling asleep.  That little Panamanian has thoroughly spoiled me and her absence is harder to take each time.

Rescued Plants Ready to Dominate Inside
The Red Sox were there for me with one of their endless Yankee games.  They blew a seemingly insurmountable lead and then rallied against Mr. Rivera.  To score the winning run in extra innings against the human dirigible know as Joba the Hut made even more satisfying.  I could almost hear my wife jumping up and down in joy next to me.  Almost.
Yes!
I received a call from my mother in law late in the evening to report my wife’s safe arrival in Panama City where she spent the night before traveling today to her home town to be with her father.  My mother in law said my father in law continued through another battery of inpatient tests yesterday in preparation for his impending cancer surgery.  He doesn’t really understand what’s going on and is fairly upset at all the poking and prodding. I’m glad to hear they’re taking precautions; any surgery for an 86-year old is fraught with danger.  I’m also glad my wife will be there when the surgery goes down. 
Wife (left) Out to Dinner Last Night in Panama
My wife’s extended family took her out to dinner last night and I’m so glad she had the chance to see these beloved family members.  I woke up this morning to find some photos of her posted by her favorite niece.  This is exactly what she needed prior to the ordeal she faces in her home town.  I really miss her.  A lot.
The Really Cool Niece


No comments:

Post a Comment