Saturday, September 7, 2013

Solitary Sentence Begins

Yesterday was about as quiet as I feared.  Even Buddy seemed a bit depressed.  Yesterday was also the day to finally pout out all the debris from last week's party which had been getting kind of rank in the garage.  On a normal week we  put out one basket full of recycled bottles.  I was charging around ht basement trying to find additional containers for all the beer bottles.  I hope the trash guy is impressed.  We certainly overachieved.
Party Debris
My great boss declared a First Friday celebration and the outstanding waitress had our usual drinks placed in front of us almost before we were seated.  Something’s going on at Brew City because there are hardly any people there on Fridays anymore.  We used to have to get there early to stake out seats.  Nowadays it doesn’t seem to matter.  I think the phase they went through with some really bad wait staff must have hurt them, I hope not fatally.  It’s a pretty good watering hole.
Underpopulated Brew City Last Night
After checking in with the Wonder pooch I performed the weekly pilgrimage to Zorba’s.  I took up the post near the bar that I abandoned when my wife returned in March.  All of the waitresses stopped by and asked about my wife’s absence.  I think I’m much more approachable when she’s not around.  She can be scary.  Last weekend I was so psyched for this Friday because my keto sensei, the redoubtable son in law, had granted a weekly one day dispensation.  I was going to have pizza again!!!!  Unfortunately last night I didn’t feel very celebratory, only celibatory, so I assuaged my disappointment by suffering through another piece of prime rib. 
Back at My Solitary Perch - Pizza Next Week!
I returned to the empty home and switched on the Red Sox.  They were getting pummeled by the hated Yankees.  I continued to watch because my daughter and sensei were at the game.  She told me they would be on the third base side so I spent the night scouring the fleeting shots of the crowd for them.  I saw from some pictures they posted today that they were on the first base side, I was way off!  Thanks for the eye strain thoughJ  The Sox, as they have done all year rewarded our belief with a dramatic comeback that has to seep whatever fight the Yanks had left out of them.  Awesome win! 
The Most Beautiful Fan in Yankee Stadium Last Night
My Geographically Challenged Daughter
While attempting to locate my misplaced daughter I finally received a call from my absent wife.  She had just returned from seeing her father at the hospital and the relief in her voice was palpable.  I think she shared my fear that she would get there too late.  She eschewed the traditional six to seven hour bus ride to her hometown and flew on the local airline which only took one hour.  She went straight to the hospital from the airport. 
These Planes Are Faster than Buses - Go Figure!
My Wife Took this Waiting for her Flight
Her father’s doctor was a little pissed at some medical students who were supposed to have completed some of the testing so my father in law’s surgery could take place on this past Wednesday.  It now looks like the final tests will take place Monday and the surgery on Tuesday.  Please keep him and his family in your prayers.

I had forgotten just how big this house is without my favorite Panamanian.  Apparently some of the back yard fauna had taken up residence in her tropical plants which I hurriedly brought into the house on Thursday.  I came down in the morning to find some very exotic insects perched on the window asking to be let out.  Buddy ate one but I enabled another to escape.   
The Surviving Overnight Guest
Since I lack any measurable supervision I had more time to read this week and finished off The Lions of Lucerne by Brad Thor.  I’ve been searching for a new thriller author since I’ve burned through all the output of my current favorites and I hate waiting for the next one to come out.  Apparently writing a book takes a long time, who knew?  Amazon’s algorithms based on my preferences recommended Thor and I dipped my toe with his first novel.
It wasn’t as polished as some of the other thrillers I like but he does a great job with location descriptions which I love.  His main character is a former Navy SEAL who now works for the Secret Service.  In this initial novel he has lost the president and everybody blames him.   It’s a wild ride to the finish and while I thought he gave the bad guys a little too much prowess I really enjoyed the book and will return for the next installment. 

1 comment:

  1. Dad! You should blame Jesse because he was the one that was telling me where we'd be sitting when I texted you before we even got to the stadium! I didn't remember that that's what I'd told you when in our actual (awesome!!) seats!!! Love you Dad!

    ReplyDelete