Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Frisco Bound 2013

I’m writing this from just outside San Francisco in Foster City, California.  Yesterday was a very long day since I started it on the east coast and finished out here, so three extra hours.  I tried a new deployment scheme.  I knew I couldn’t go to bed early because I cannot fall asleep before 11pm no matter what I try.

I showered, shaved, prepped a breakfast, and laid out all my clothes prior to hitting the sack for a rapid rise and departure.  My limo ride was scheduled was 4:30am and I decided to push the envelope and not get up until 4am.  I hate mornings like this because I wake up throughout the night worried that I’ve overslept.  The plan went off like clockwork.  I was downstairs cooking the bacon and eggs at 4:07 and was eating when the van pulled in at 4:20.  I’m sure my neighbors appreciated the backup alarm as we pulled out of the driveway. 

The trip was much quicker than my own earlier in the week drive for my wife’s departure.  Apparently there are at lot fewer cars on the road at 4:30.

I flew United which was okay, they left on time even though I had to check my carryon because the flight was full.  Is it me or are there just no flights anymore with empty seats?  I’m sure the airlines love it but I remember a few years ago where it was rare to be full to bursting, now that is the rule.
Hertz Line Yesterday
I relearned a valuable lesson upon arriving at San Francisco Airport – don’t rent from Hertz.  All the east coast planes had landed and all the rental car counters were full but everywhere else the lines were moving.  Hertz was pulling agents off the counter as the line was growing exponentially.  We waited over an hour to finally get the car, which turned out to be an awesome, the car, not the wait. 
The Rental Car
Since the airlines don’t feed you anymore I was starving, 13 hours had passed since my hurried breakfast.  I patronized the Red Robin for the first time ever and I am now a huge fan, great burgers.   
The Hotel Lobby Seen from the Elevator
We checked into our awesome hotel which is definitely a huge upgrade from the place we historically have stayed for these trips.  I have stunning views of a very large Costco and again since this is California - a freeway.  I even spent some time swimming while waiting for dinner time to roll around.  It’s a California thing – dude!  There’s a big waterfall and stream flowing though the middle of the lobby along with glass elevators.  I’ll miss the armed guards at the door though. 
My Hotel Room
The Pool
I spent the evening watching Monday Night Football in the hotel’s sports bar which boasted no less than three fifteen foot TV screens.  It was jarring to watch Monday night football ending while the sun was still up. 

This trip is a little bittersweet because I really miss having the little Panamanian that accompanied me the last time I was out here.  Still, 15 foot TV screens!

1 comment: